Chapter One

A/N: This is my first story. Exciting right? This story is going to get more interesting as it progresses, so don't give up on me in the first chapter :) Heads up: I like cliffhangers so this story may contain a few. Okay, a lot. I like constructive criticism, but not harsh. Tell me what you think. Please and thank you!

P.S. This chapter is kind of like the backgrounds of the characters, so it may not be as interesting as the rest of the story will be.

*********

Chapter One: My New Life. (2010)

DEAR DIARY,

This will probably be my only entry because my mom claims every girl should have one of these but here it is: My name is Val, short for Valerie, and I live in a special family. Why? Because we were blessed with two sets of twins. At least that's what my mom says. Unfortunately, I don't have a twin. I'm the outsider who gets reminded of that fact every single day. Imagine going out with your family and having to stand off to the side because everyone's staring at your brothers and sisters in awe. Well, it sucks. My mother says I should be happy and grateful that I get to share this experience with them and my father says it makes me all the more special. Ha, that's funny right? I mean, I love my brothers and sisters but it's hard feeling like an outcast in your own family. I sometimes feel like I'm missing an important part of my life, like maybe I did have a sister or brother my age. But I'm just dreaming. Well, here's the cherry on top of that: My parents decided to move us all out to a town called Olberton, a.k.a OLDberton, away from all of my friends who see me as myself and not as a sister of two twins. Truth be told, the only reason I'm not protesting is because I get to pick my room over everyone else. I'm fifteen, for crying out loud. No fifteen year old wants to be moved from their house in the city to this old neighborhood with hardly any teenagers into a house that, even though they remodeled it, looks like it's one hard push from falling off its hinges. However, the rooms are huge and because I was SOOO good *note the sarcasm*, I got the biggest. It has UGLY wallpaper with faded purple and lime green stripes. Gross, I know but it's whatever and can be fixed. We have all my furniture in my room. It looks amazing, thanks to me and my mother, Tammy. She actually took off work for a week just to get the house together and that's saying something because she has a high position at the hospital and works A LOT. My father, John, didn't take any days off from his job at the Rec Center. Not surprising. Ellie and Mellie, short for Eleanor and Melanie are the youngest of the family, aging at four years old. My brothers, Jay and Ray, are the middle children, being eleven. But enough with talk about them. I've heard about them every day of my life.

"Val, come here! I need you to watch Ellie and Mellie, while I go to the store to get groceries for tonight's dinner!" My mom yelled from somewhere downstairs.

I closed my diary and jogged down the stairs, which took a lot because the house we live in now is three story, with the third floor being just one room. My room, to be exact. But hey, I wasn't complaining. I'm hungry. When I reached the bottom, my mom was already waiting for me.

"Okay, there are snacks in the fridge. The girls are in the living room watching Disney Channel. I know you are just supposed to watch your sisters but please make sure your brothers don't leave the property. If anything and I mean anything happens call me. There are also drinks in the fridge. Don't let your brothers wreck the house. Make sure your sisters don't draw on anyth-"

"MOM! Take a breather. I've watched them before. I know what to do."

"I know. I know. It's just with the new house and new environment, I figured it might be a little difficult. But I guess you're old enough to figure out things by yourself. At least you have have a whole summer to figure things out before school starts," My mom said. My stomach rumbled.