Chapter Two - The Value of Constructive Criticism

However there is a difference between constructive and destructive criticism, one you should listen to and one you should ignore completely. So what's the difference? Constructive criticism is meant to help you improve your writing, you may not always agree with it but it has been offered in good faith. Destructive criticism is tearing down someone's work without being helpful, either because they just don't like it or they are trolls who enjoy saying cruel things.

For example: I'm not a fan of One Direction, I don't listen to that genre of music so I don't think I've heard any of their songs (I'm more an industrial/goth/punk fan), and a google search shows me that the oldest member of the group is a decade younger than me. Fan fiction involving them has absolutely no appeal to me. However I would be out of line to go to one of these stories and tell the writer that they shouldn't write 1D fan fiction because it's about a boy band no one will admit to being a fan of in 10 years. It would be pointless destructive criticism and honestly a bit mean. On the other hand, politely discussing why writers should expand beyond fan fiction to original work, pointing out a plot hole, inconsistent characterization, or grammar mistakes and suggesting possible fixes is constructive criticism.

Sometimes constructive criticism can hurt your feelings a bit. You've spent a lot of time and creative energy writing a story just to have someone tell you it needs improvement. If this happens go take a break, make yourself a cup of tea or whatever it is that you like to do to relax for a few minutes. Then think about what the critique said, Do you really have a bunch of run on sentences? Could your dialogue sound more natural? Remind yourself that the purpose of the critique is to help you improve. We all want to be the best writer we can be, right? You don't have to agree with everything or make the changes suggested but you owe it to yourself and your improvement as a writer to have an open mind when reading critiques.

If someone is actually tearing you down, you have every right to be angry and hurt but don't retaliate. Trolls want to provoke a reaction, it's the reason they post what they do. Do not give them what they want or sink to their level.