Prologue

//edited

It was a beautiful day outside. The sky was clear and blue with a few clouds hanging around. The sun was beautiful, brightly shining through the sky as pedestrians sauntered around, trying to live their daily lives. There was a particular cafe in town that had just opened. It seemed intriguing at the time, which made me visit on this particular day. The cafe was packed with customers. After all, I arrived at its busiest time. I stood in line, waiting for them to get to me.

"Next!" I heard the cashier shout. I walked towards the cashier and smiled.

"Hello! I'd like a Medium Vanilla Iced Coffee please," I said. They held out their hand, anxiously waiting for me to hand over my money. They took my card, swiped it, and gave it back. Soon after, I stood in line once more. However, this time, my order was swiftly brought to me. I took a sip. Ah, perfection. I walked out of the cafe, making room for more eager customers as the heat of the day greeted me. Earbuds were in my ears, blocking out sounds from the noisy traffic and people. I browsed the Internet, and soon, an app popped up.

"Mystic...Messenger?" I flipped to the App Store, intrigued by the app description. "Sure, I'll give it a go."

It took a while to download, but it was worth the time. I heard what seemed to be the crosswalk sign changing. Unknowingly, I stepped out into the streets. It was too late when I became aware of my surroundings; a truck was coming right at me.

I heard gasps all around as pedestrians looked in horror. My eyes were shut, and I anticipated the impact. Where was it? What happened? When I opened my eyes once more, I wasn't out on the street. I was perfectly fine on the sidewalk.

'What...happened?'

Ding!

A notification? I checked my phone. Oh, it was from Mystic Messenger! I clicked the notification and the app launched on my iPhone. Immediately, it asked me to choose a name for myself.

'A username! That should be easy.'

I typed the word [Username] before pressing enter. Right after, someone messaged me. Unknown. Who's that?

Unknown: Hello?
[Username]: ?
Unknown: Thank god someone answered me!

I was a bit puzzled. Noticing I was still standing around, I located a nearby bench and sat down. Seeing more messages popping up, I began to read. Unknown had begun to tell hisーor herーstory about how they found the phone and wanted to find its owner. How peculiar...

[Username]: Turn it into the police...!
Unknown: I'm religious, and my religion has taught me to do good things whenever possible.

This man...or woman...is confusing. They continued to text me. 

Unknown: Will you go to this place?

They sent the address. I opened it up and I realized that it isn't too far. I sighed. Was I really willing to trust a random stranger like them? They seem nice and friendly, but you should never judge someone.

[Username] Fine...if it's too creepy, I'm leaving.
Unknown: Ok

I got up from the bench and stretched. I didn't know specifically where it was, but I knew it was close. I took out my navigation and began heading towards my destination. Who is this person? Why me? Questions ran through my head as a pondered existence. Eventually, I arrived. 

Unknown: There should be a password lock. Is there one?"
[Username]: Mhm.
Unknown: Input the password.

I hesitated a little bit before putting it in. The keypad made beeping noises. Hopefully, I wasn't breaking into the place. However, if anyone questioned, I'd simply blame it on the strange man and run.

After the passcode had been input, the door suddenly clicked open. 

[Username] The door's open
Unknown: Ok

And with that, Unknown left. 

~~~

Yoosung: I failed my midterms!

Yoosung complained into the chat. The apartment was littered with Honey Buddha Chip Bags and empty cans of Dr. Pepper. Clothes were thrown everywhere and the room was lit only by the dim computer screen on Luciel's desk.  Tsk tsk...

While the group were conversing, they failed to notice that someone had joined. Everyone was distracted by the constant flood of messages. However, he couldn't help but notice the name in the chatroom title.

707: Guys...someone joined the chatroom!

Everyone suddenly stopped and realized that someone did in fact join. 

Yoosung: A hacker!?!?

707 began desperately clicking away at his computer, trying to find out who this mysterious person was. Everyone began panicking, not knowing who this mysterious person was.

~~~

I laugh nervously. They finally realized I joined, huh?

[Username] Hello...
Yoosung: IT SPEAKS!?
ZEN: So there aren't two devices...

The group continued to discuss the issue, panicking in the meantime. While that was happening, I glanced around the apartment I had just entered. Everything was neatly placed on shelves, in drawers, or in stacks on the table. Not a thing was out of place. What would happen if the owner came back...?

707: She's in Rika's apartment

Rika? Who's that?

Yoosung: How did someone know the apartment address? It was a huge secret!
707: I don't know...

Everyone settled down in due time. Slowly, they all began to explain. It turns out that the app was supposed to be a secret between the RFA Members.

I nodded along as texts appeared. Not that they could see, but it was a habit I developed over the years. At some time, a man named V had joined the chat. I didn't mind the man, he just seemed...mysterious...

All seemed well. They were trying to decipher the situation at hand. However, suddenly, Jumin asked me a question.

Jumin Han: [Username], will you join the RFA?

Join? I mean, what harm would it do? All they did was host parties. Who doesn't like parties?!?!?? What puzzled me was the fact they trusted me enough to let me join. Then again, I did stumble upon their "top secret" app.

[Username]: Ok. Seems interesting.

And so, they rejoiced. 

***

//this is an A/N at the time of revision and everything. If that makes sense. When do I make sense? ._.

First part! This is the prologue. Some chapters will be poorly written, depends on my mood. I will go back and edit some chapters however so once it's complete, I'll try my best to make sure it's perfect!

Hope you enjoyed it! If you do, don't hesitate to comment or vote!
Thank you!

~ Yume