Prologue

--This is the preview version of Forsaken Dreamscape (Nevermor #2), which will be released as an ebook and in print on February 11, 2014. I'll be posting a sample chapter every few weeks until I reach the end of the preview portion of this book.--

You can chart my progress and get more information by following my blog for the project: 

http://projectnevermor.wordpress.com/

A preview of the first book, NEVERMOR, is now available to read on my profile page, and the full version is available to purchase on Kindle, Kobo, Nook, iBooks, Gumroad, Smashwords and in print.

Reason for rating: Strong language, graphic violence and gore, sexual situations and innuendo.

--

 FORSAKEN DREAMSCAPE

Text copyright Lani Lenore

 All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be produced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

                                                     ______________________________

~~

Forsaken

Years have passed, the seasons fade

 A sacred world bleeds; dark decay

 The angels weep for ruined dreams

 As demons choke the land to screams

 An aged wonder, all forsaken

 A missing force forgotten,

 Awakened

~~

 Prologue

Storms…  This is a night of storms.  That was all Wren could think as she walked along the narrow ridge of the roof beneath the darkened sky.  A vicious wind blew her fair curls all about as the moon shone down on her from beyond a cloudy haze.  The beacon winked at her mischievously, and she began to feel doubt.

Wren remembered the tempest – the way lightning had flashed so violently as thunder growled in the amber sky.  She had not been away so long that she had forgotten.  She could recall the storm – though perhaps not as well as the way Rifter’s face had looked when he’d peered adorningly into her eyes.

Rifter…  He was the one who cared about her – the only one who could save her now.  She wanted to see him again, desperately, but he was not here.  Wren did not understand, and could not quite ignore the circumstances.  Could this not be put off until the storm was over?  A soothing flow of whispers discouraged her from thinking.  Through her tangling hair, she saw a tiny spot of light dancing before her, and though she could not understand the language of the fairy creature, she understood the message.

It was from Rifter.  He was inviting her back to his world of dreams.  Nevermor was calling.

The line of orphans – all eighteen of them from Miss Nora’s Home – marched along the roof, guided by the light of the fairy wisp.  Dark tendrils of smoke rose from chimneys in London’s twilight, adding to the dark shadow of night overhead.  She could smell the smoke, a sure sign of warning on most occasions, but no alarms were set off in her mind.

Rifter had promised to come back for her – had promised not to forget – but yet he had sent his companion to retrieve her instead.  Wren was almost certain that this wasn’t right, but she could not question it, perhaps for the soft reassurance of the fairy’s spell, urging her forward.

I will go, Wren thought languidly.  Yes, I will fly there.

The others had already gone on before her – had already taken flight off the eaves of the house, laughing gleefully.  Wren would join them.  Without questioning further, she closed her eyes, and with a contented smile on her lips, she prepared to step from the roof.