"I told you last night. I am going to lunch with the Marquis. I shall be back in plenty of time to make your supper and I have already prepared your lunch. I believe the great Phantom of the Opera is more than capable of warming his own meal." She giggled and slid on her gloves before hurrying to the door for her hat and umbrella.

Erik's decided frown drew another giggle from her.

"Be careful, Candela." She nodded and picked up the other articles necessary for a proper afternoon out. A smile bathed her features as she waved goodbye to him.

"I shall be, Monsieur!"

She quickly closed the door behind her and pictured up the spare lantern. Deciding against the boat trip due to the excessive skirts, Candela made her way through the land route around the lake and up through the cellars.

Slipping out through the little door she had fallen through many months ago, she stored the lantern just inside the door and, opening her umbrella and securing her hat, she hurried to the steps of the Opera House, the meeting place which she and the Marquis had decided upon.

A few moments after her arrival, a large carriage pulled to a halt before the steps and the Marquis stepped out, smiling as he laid eyes on her.

"Mademoiselle Candela, you look lovely this afternoon." He took her hand in his and swept a bow as he kissed the member, causing Candela to barely resist a giggle.

"Gracias, Señor." The pair shared a laugh as he offered his arm and she accepted it.

"Where shall we go? I offered you lunch but I believe I failed to state where."

"I'm afraid I am not familiar with the restaurants. Perhaps you could suggest something?" Candela offered.

"I know a lovely little café near to a park. How does lunch and then a walk sound? Will your uncle allow me to steal you away for so long?" His eyes twinkled and once more she laughed.

"I don't think he will mind so very much."

"Then, let us go. It is just a short stroll from here." Candela gave the Marquis a pleasant smile as they began their walk in moderate silence, simply enjoy the peace and beauty of Paris. It wasn't until they were almost to the café when the Marquis spoke up,

"My cousin is coming to visit me. I should like you to meet her. Perhaps you two may find some common interests?"

Candela's heart leapt at the thought of having a female to talk with. If there was one thing her life had denied her, it was female friends. When she was with her mother, the girls of her age shunned her. When she was a servant, she never fit in. And, now, her life five stories below the Opera with a surly Opera Ghost was hardly conducive to female companionship.

"I should like that as well. Is she near my age?"

"No, the Duchess is in her early thirties. I trust you don't mind children? She will be bringing her son with her."

"Is her husband joining her?" The Marquis shook his head sadly.

"No, she was married very young to an English Duke who took her away to England with him. When he died some ten years after their marriage, she returned to France. I have tried to find her another husband but she seems determined to remain unmarried." He chuckled and Candela joined him.

"You think that a woman should be married?"

"It is a wise precaution in life. If a woman can find a man who she cares for, even as a friend, marriage would be an excellent way to secure her future."

"What of love?"

"One must have more than love to survive. Money and brains and generally necessary." Candela smiled and lightly patted the Marquis's arm as they walked into the café.

"I agree with you. Love isn't everything. It is a pleasant thing but one cannot eat love or house yourself with love. One must be practical." Jules chuckles and their conversation turned towards more trivial things during their lunch.

When the meal was finished, he paid and escorted her down the street to nearby park. It was winter but there was still a cold beauty about the paths and walkways. Several places even had winter flowers blooming.

"How is the Comte and his wife?" Candela asked, meaning to be simply polite but also a bit curious as to the fate of the Comtesse. Unfortunately, the newspaper wasn't something she had access to.

"Raoul is well but Christine is faring badly. I told me just this morning that he is going to take her out of Paris and somewhere south. He mentioned Spain or Italy. Somewhere warm with the sea air. He hopes it will help her recover."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear she is ill. I do hope she gets better. Everything possible has been done?"

The Marquis nodded.

"Everything. Raoul even consulted that monster that started everything but he won't help." Candela's breath caught in her throat as she realized who he spoke of. I mustn't give anything away.

"You mean the Phantom of the Opera? I thought he dead!"

"So does the whole of Paris. And, I hope, to them he is dead. You mustn't worry your head with that creature. I don't believe he will surface again."

"I am sorry he wouldn't help." She looked away. Her employer was safe as long as they believed he was dead and she wouldn't ever have to worry about his safety.

"I suppose I should be as well. But, I am glad he will stay away. I fear he would hurt my friend's wife more than help her." A smile broke his frown. "But, let's speak no more of him. With warm and quiet surrounding, I am sure Christine will return to her full strength. Perhaps there shall be children soon for the pair of them."

Candela nodded, wishing her former employer the best. The Phantom was recovering from the shattered heart and with time, they all would heal. Time was a good healer if allowed to do its work.

"I'm sure they will be very happy together."

The conversation ceased for a while before they walked by a bench which the Marquis gestured to.

"Shall we sit down?"

"Of course." He took her hand and helped her to her seat before sitting beside her. He didn't release her hand and she waited patiently to see what he had in mind.

"Mademoiselle Candela...Candela, we've attended the opera together and now a lunch date. It's not long, I know, but would like to ask your permission to speak to your uncle about courting you."

Candela stared at him, stunned. While she had expected at some point, if they continued their relationship, he would ask her about courting perhaps even marriage.

But this was so soon!

"I...I..." She stammered as she tried to gather her thoughts.

"I haven't offended you, I hope?" She shook her head quickly.

"No, not at all. I simply wasn't expecting it. Um, I don't mind if you speak to my uncle. I will let him know and you may arrange for when to speak to him. I'm honored you wish to court me." She smiled at him. Her little lie would have to go on for a little while longer. Perhaps if it went long enough, he might never know she was a servant.

He was a kind man, no vices that she had discovered yet. Courting him would be a wise, safe move for her. She forced away the bad feeling in her stomach.

"Candela, thank you!" He grasped both her hands in his and kissed the backs of them. "I hope to speak with him soon."

"I as well." Candela said as she blushed and glanced away.

"I should return you home. Shall we meet again, at the stairs of the Opera, a week from today, about the same time as today? My cousin should be here by then and you may come to tea and dinner with us. If that is convenient?"

Candela nodded.

"That is perfectly convenient."

"Then, I shall look forward to seeing you again then. Shall I walk you home?" She shook her head and stood up.

"No, I have an errant to run. I bid you good day." She dropped a curtsy and swished away from the Marquis, leaving him sitting on the bench, a brilliant smile plastered all over his face.