“Hi Jesse,” she said and for a moment, it felt like it was just the two of them in the room. Billy stretched out her hand and Jesse exhaled and closed hers upon it, making the hair on her skin rise at the physical contact. Why did Billy have that effect on her?

 “Jesse, it’s so nice to see you again,” Lana said, pulling her back to reality.

 Jesse was about to go for a handshake since it was the official manner of greeting, but Lana surprised her by taking her in her arms. “It’s nice to see you too,” she said, surprised by her warm and friendly reception.

 She had thought that everyone in Billy’s group of friends hated her because of everything that had happened, but she was pleasantly surprised to find out she was wrong. Anyway, it was still too early to tell.

 There was still Max, Alex’s sister, and Jade, Lana’s girlfriend. She was certain Max resented her, but she couldn’t quite guess how Jade felt about her. But anyway, why was she even thinking about this? It didn’t matter. It wasn’t like they would be having a cup of tea at their usual spot any time soon anyway.

 “This is Fred, my business partner. Fred, this is Billy and Lana,” she quickly introduced them, hoping to start the meeting.

 They all took their seats and when Jesse looked around the room, her eyes only seemed to land on Billy whose unwavering gaze made her realize she had made the right decision, demanding for a correspondent and dragging Fred along to the meeting.

 “I assume I am going to be working with Lana on the remodeling project,” she started.

 “That’s right. She’s aware of our terms of agreement and will voice any ideas or concerns I may have regarding the project,” Billy said.

 “Let me say that I am very excited to be working on this project with you, Jesse.”

 Jesse smiled, feeling a sudden fondness for Lana.

 “I’m going to conduct an extensive evaluation on the premises which will require examining the space in order to consider how it is currently being used and how it needs to be changed. This will involve observing how people move through the area in order to determine ways to make the space easier to use. Lana and I will discuss some concepts so that I can get some feel of what Global Designs requires.

 You will give me your input, detailing the ideas you have and then I will lay down some designs. If you feel they are not satisfactory, we’ll go back to the drawing board, add or remove whatever you deem necessary. Following this, I will draw up preliminary plans for the rooms redesign, offer information on materials required and budget considerations. The firm will obtain all required building permits and finally, I will set up a timeline for when the work will be done.

 Robson and Jones Concept will bring in a team of professionals such as an architect, contractor and an engineer.” She braved it and met Billy’s gaze to see her reaction on the information she had offered.

 “Sounds exciting,” Lana said.

 Jesse smiled, “It will be.”

 “I will entrust you in the capable hands of Lana and she will inform me of anything that is required from me,” Billy said.

 The meeting ended shortly after that, and Jesse was glad Billy did not insist on prolonging it.

 “See, you didn’t need me for this,” Fred said when they were leaving.

 “Fred, your presence was important in the meeting,” she said.

 “Jesse?”

 She stopped at Lana’s voice and waited.