So we were back to that were we, the rest of my happiness disappears completely and I frown at him, "Don't start with me again, Phillip."

He suddenly gets angry, "Why not, Siara? You think I'm just going to stand by and let him mark Chloe, knowing that it will be your death?"

"Maybe it won't, maybe my human is strong enough to survive after my wolf is gone. I'm strong, look what I've been through already." I try to placate him, though in my heart I know none of this is true. My heart won't be strong enough to withstand the pain of losing my wolf and my mate. I hide this knowledge well behind my serious, determined expression.

He must've bought it because he heaves his shoulders and says, "I'm sure you could, but I'm not sure it's a risk I'm willing to take. When I came here, I was broken from my rejection. You helped me through that, you helped heal me as much as I could be healed. I'm going to do the same for you. You deserve happiness, Siara. Happiness with your mate."

It's all just one big mess, and I'm confused. I know one thing for sure though, I'm not planning on telling Mason anything. I will do my job as Beta, be supportive of his marriage, and see what happens after that. I'm not even sure if Mason is the same guy I knew him to be. I fiddle with the friendship bracelet on my wrist. I don't even know if he still considers me a friend or not, now that he's found a new one.

"We need to get back, before people start wondering what happened to us."

It's clear he wants to argue with me, but the strain of the day must be showing on my features and he reluctantly gives in. The look he shoots me promises this is far from over.

"Fine, you know they're only thinking we ran off together to get freaky," he jokes..

Seriously?

It's a likely possibility. People do assume we're something more than friends to each other because of how much time we spend together, but for him to jump from a serious moment back to his shameless behavior so quickly gives me whiplash.

"Oh shove it and let's go playboy."

"Trust me, babe, there is nothing boyish about me," he boasts, waggling his eyebrows comically. He really is a clown.

I just roll my eyes and start for the door.

"I'm anxious to get back anyways, to start proving to you that you and Mason are made for each other. I saw the way he looked at me when I had my arm around your waist. It was possessive, and I think I'm gonna have fun testing his limits," the gleam in his eyes worries me.

"That's just his brotherly instincts toward me. He never did like guys getting close to me unless he thought they were his definition of good enough.. I guess it's nice to know that even though he has Chloe in his life, he's still protective of me," I muse.

"Siara, sometimes you are clueless. Actually, I think you both are. He was not looking at you in a brotherly way, I would know because neither do I."

That statement throws me. I don't think Mason ever felt more for me than brotherly, and for Phillip to admit he has looked at me other than brotherly as well has my head spinning.

"I'm not hitting on you so don't give me that look, I'm just saying that you're beautiful, inside and out. You're a catch, Siara, and I'm willing to bet Mason saw that a long time ago, but was just too slow to do something about it. I plan on fixing that."

"Phillip, just let it be. You're only going to stir up an already simmering pot and before you know it, it's going to boil over and burn everyone around. Just let things go, I shouldn't have waited so long to tell him, but I did. Now he's found his happily ever after, that's all I want for him."