Bargaining

Grayson x Reader: You are Dick Grayson's long time girlfriend. In the wake of his death from the hands of the Crime Syndicate you find out that you are pregnant and Damian is alive. You make a promise to Dick's memory that you will do everything in your power to give these two kids the best life that you possibly can.

A/n: I'm trying to get this series finished before Nightwing Rebirth tomorrow (7/13). For those who don't know, it's going to be a five part series. I'll post #4 later today and the uber fluffy conclusion tomorrow (That's the plan, anyway).

You stared numbly down at the positive pregnancy test in your hand. Inside your emotions were a raging storm. You were terrified to be a mother. You were young and most definitely not ready for this. You were despondent because you would be a single mother without Dick at your side. The two of you talked about having kids in the future. You always thought Dick would be a great father but there was no way you were ready for this on your own. Among the storm of emotions was a ray of joy. To have Dick's child would mean that you would have a part of him left to cherish for the rest of your life.

You lifted up your shirt and tenderly placed a hand where your unborn child was resting. Dick's unborn child. Bittersweet tears rolled down your cheeks and landed on the bathroom counter.

Your life had just gotten back to normal after Dick's death and now you find yourself tears again over his loss. It killed you that he would never get the chance to meet his child. You would give anything to get Dick back.

The sound of your door opening pulled out of your tears. With a furrowed brow you exit the bathroom and walk towards the front door. You weren't expecting anyone to come over today. Alfred had just visited the other day to bring you home made meals that would last you a week and Tim and Jason were occupied with their day jobs. When you turned the corner and saw who had entered your apartment your jaw dropped and you stopped in your tracks in shock.

"Damian?" Your hands covered your mouth in shock. Your sad tears turned into ones of happiness. Suddenly Damian was running towards you at full speed, embracing you in a tight hug when he got to you. You fell to your knees and you returned his bone crushing hug. "You're alive!" You sobbed out, holding him tighter. You weren't about to let him go anytime too soon.

When Damian had been killed, you took it pretty hard. Granted Dick did too, but you and Damian had a special bond. You had spent many school nights with him when he wasn't allowed to go out on patrol, especially while Dick had the Batman mantle. It wasn't easy at first but you grew on one another and established a comfortable routine. You had a casual almost mother-son relationship with him. You were absolutely devastated when Dick told you what had happened to him.

"I missed you [Y/N]." You continued holding him and crying happy tears until you reigned in your emotions.

"I missed you too, Damian." You tenderly ran your fingers through his hair. He was here. He was really here and alive! "Don't you dare ever do that to me again!" You lightly scolded, pulling him back into a hug. You started giving him relieved little kisses over his forehead, temples, and cheeks. He brushed you away with a wrinkle of his nose and a small grimace.

"[Y/N]!" He exclaimed holding you away with his arms extended. You laughed and cuddled him to your chest but ceased your affectionate attacks.

"You're alive." You said again in disbelief. You lifted your hand and cupped his cheek tenderly.

"I'm alive." He reaffirmed.

Eventually you let Damian out of your arms and before you knew it the two of you had settled back into the routine that you were used to. Later on in the day, you found yourself in the kitchen cooking dinner for the two of you while he sat at the counter watching you work. You were in the middle of chopping some vegetables when the conversation lulled.

"Father told me about Grayson." He stated his eyes remaining trained on your counter. You furrowed your brow realizing that he must be trying to deal with the loss of his brother. The rest of the family had their time to mourn but he was just now coming to learn that his closest brother is dead. You stopped your chopping and went to sit down next to him, placing your hand over his.

"Nothing could have been done about it, Damian. It's not your fault or anyone else's. It's just - sometimes these things happen." You explained in a soft tone, hoping that your words offered some sort of comfort to him.

"I am alive and he is not! There has to be something that we can do to bring him back!" He exclaimed unshed tears brimming in his eyes. You gripped his hand comfortingly.

"Damian -" You started but he cut you off.

"No! There has to be a way to bring him back! I'm going to find a way to bring him back." He said with fierce determination. You shook your head sadly.

"Damian, I would do anything to bring him back too but he wouldn't want any of us to waste our lives away to try and fix the past. The best that we can do is live up to his memory." You reasoned. Damian shook his head angrily.

"There has to be a way! There just has to be!" He cried angrily. You pulled him into a hug, letting him cry against you shoulder. You comforted him letting him work through his emotions on his own time.

After making sure he was alright, you went back to cooking dinner and the two of you spent a quiet night together, just like old times. He fell asleep curled against you while the two of you were watching tv. You smiled fondly down at the sight, your hand drifting down to rest on your stomach. You would give anything to have Dick back but you were content with the miracles you were given. Damian, against all odds was revived and you now had a piece of Dick that would live on through your child.

Tearing up, you promised to yourself and Dick that you would do everything in your power to protect Damian and your child and make sure that they both had the best and fullest life possible.