Chapter 3: Carl Powers and Janus Cars

Start from the beginning

​​​​​​​"But there were still tiny traces of it left inside the trainers from where he put the cream on his feet." Sherlock said as he was typing the message. He hits send and straightens up.

"That's why they had to go." You said.

"So how do we let the bomber know.." John started to say but Sherlock said "Get his attention...stop the clock." And he looks at his watch.

"The killer kept the shoes all these years." John said.

"Yes. Meaning..." Sherlock trails off looking at you and John.

"He's our bomber." You replied.

The pink phone rings and Sherlock hurries to answer and switches it to speaker. "Well done, you. Come and get me." said the woman's voice. "Where are you? Tell us where you are." Sherlock said, loudly and clearly.

The next morning you three were sitting in Lestrade's office. Sherlock had his hands raised in front of his mouth and his fingers tapping together. You and John are sitting opposite Lestrade. "She lives in Cornwall. Two men broke in wearing masks, forced her to drive to the car park and decked her out in enough explosives to take down a house. Told her to phone Sherlock. She had to read out from this pager." Lestrade said as he places the pager in front of you and John.

"And if she deviated by one word, the sniper would set her off." Sherlock said.

"Or if you hadn't solved the case." You replied.

"Oh. Elegant." He said, softly.

"Elegant?" John asked.

"But what's the point? Why would anyone do this?" Lestrade asked.

"Oh-I can't be the only person in the world that gets bored." Sherlock said and at that moment the pink phone beeps.

You and John turn to Sherlock, who activates the phone. "You have one new message." said the Voice alert. The phone sounds three short pips and one long one.

"Four pips." You replied.

"First test passed, it would seem. Here's the second." Sherlock said as a new phot pops up.

It's a close up of a car with the driver door open and the number plate clearly visible. You, John and Lestrade get up to take a closer look as Sherlock turns to Lestrade. "It's abandoned, wouldn't you say?" He asked. "I'll see if it's been reported." Lestrade said and he goes to pick up the desk phone when Donovan comes in, holding a phone.

"Freak, it's for you." She said and you scowl at her. Sherlock makes his way to her and grabs the phone and walks out of the office. "Hello?"
"It's okay that you've gone to the police." said a frightened voice, this time a young man.
"Who's this? Is this you again?" Sherlock asked.

In Lestrade's office you look around and head out of the office when you see the look on Sherlock's face. "But don't rely on them. Clever you, guessing about Carl Powers. I never liked him. Carl laughed at me, so I stopped him laughing." The frightened man said.

You walk up next to Sherlock and look up at him, concerned. "And you've stolen another voice, I presume." Sherlock answered. "This is about you and me." The man's voice said as, in the background, traffic passes by.

"Who are you? What's that noise?" Sherlock asked.

"The sounds of life, Sherlock. But don't worry I can soon fix that. You solved my last puzzle in nine hours. This time you have eight." The man said and the phone goes dead. Lestrade comes out the office and turns to you two. "We've found it." He said.