"Why can't you then?"

"Because I can't just go the rest of my life not knowing who my father is. I've only heard of him through story books and talks of him on the island. I want to know the real him." I looked up at him again and smiled. "Besides, I think it'd be nice to visit the island again. To get back to my rotten roots."

He laughed at me and said, "Ellie, there's no rotten bone in your body."

I rolled my eyes at him and pouted. I turned around continuing to go through my bag making sure I'm not forgetting anything. This time I saw hands on the suitcase that belonged to Jay. He carried my bag and put it next to the door. I smiled at his kindness that is only shown rarely to others.

He turned back to me and sighed. "You have a week until you leave. Why're you packing and getting your stuff together now?"

I leaned against my bed and crossed my arms over my chest. "You know I've always been the kind of person to plan ahead."

He looked down and smiled fondly. "Yeah."

I walked over to him and grabbed his hand. He looked at our joining hands and then back at me. "Thank you for being so understanding. I know you don't like this."

He had that same smile on his face and leaned down to be at eye level with me. "Well, who am I to keep you away from your father? If you think this is going to make you happy then I'm all for it. The only downside of this is that I'm going to miss you like crazy."

You had a mischievous smile on your face that made Jay antsy but also curious. "Well like you said, I have a week till I have to go. What do you think we can do until then?" I let my hands snake back up around his neck, and he stared at me with the same devilish smile.

He moved his head closer to mine and closed his eyes, me doing the same. Right before our lips could touch there was a knock at the door. I loosened my arms around Jay's neck and we both sighed knowing that what just happened would have to come at a later time. I put my hands on his chest and patted his leather-like clothing. "Who is it?", I said to whoever was behind the door, continuing to stare at Jay.

"Um, Ellie it's Carlos. Is Jay with you? I need to ask him about the chemistry homework."

I smiled at the door and looked back at Jay. "Looks like it's for you." I leaned up to kiss his cheek and went back to my bed to sit down.

Jay walked over to the door and opened to it reveal the well-known puppy lover Carlos himself. He had his chemistry work in left hand and a phone in the other. "Hey, I figured you'd be here. I really need your help with this-"

"Why don't you ask Evie? You know she's better at that stuff than most of the people on campus.", Jay said, sounding bored with the conversation already. "Besides, I'm kind of busy right now."

Carlos looked confused for a second until he saw me behind Jay sitting on my bed. He then put two and two together and nodded his head. "I know but I couldn't find her. Mal said she saw her around campus with Doug and I don't feel like going around looking for her. C'mon man, please help me."

"I will later-"

"Let me see your homework, Carlos. Maybe I can help.", I volunteered freely with Jay just rolling his eyes and Carlos with the happiest look on his face.