The Monster from the Deep

"If you don't hurry up, we're never going to get to go to the lake!" Kirsten hollered from downstairs, and I rolled my shining blue irises. I stared into the large mirror reflecting my appearance back at me. The girl who glanced back had long waist length brunette locks with curls intertwined in every strand. Her white smooth milky skin held almost no make-up, with the exception of her favorite Cover Girl bright pink lip gloss. Her eyelashes were naturally long and full, bringing more attention to her sky blue eyes that gleamed no matter what. A petite upturned nose pointed right in the center, balanced above her shining full lips. She had a thin, slender figure, with straw like arms and long legs that seemed to stretch on for miles. She was beautiful, and sometimes I was even surprised she was me.

"Coming!" I screamed back at Kirsten, my sister and best friend, who was waiting downstairs. Grabbing my yellow and white striped shoulder bag, I glanced at the vanity one last time before sauntering out of my bed room and pouncing down the stairs happily, almost tripping into Kirsten.

She looked almost identical to me, except her hair was a lighter more blond color and her eyes were a deep emerald green. She stood the same height as me, five foot seven, and we were inseparable.

"Ready?" I smiled at her, blinking my eyes, as though I wasn't just the reason we were late.

"Of course I'm ready, snail," Kirsten said to me as she pierced me with one of her world- famous glares that seemed to bear into my soul.

I smiled at her, and started walking ahead, bounding my way toward Kirsten's old beat up van with a scratched up paint job of a dull blue grey color. It was the only thing she could afford on her own, and it drove like a dream, which was all that mattered.

I slid into the burning leather seats that radiated off the blazing hot summer sun's heat. Kirsten slid into the driver's side, put her hands on the grey wheel, and we took off on our way to The Lake. The Lake was our spot, and we had never seen anyone else there, ever. It was our tradition to come every weekend during the school year, and practically every other day in the summer. It was perfect. The lake was small enough to be able to see all of it, but large enough so if you wanted to swim across it, it would be tiring. Its borders were lined with thick full bright green trees and it had a small beach area. A narrow stream lead out from the pond, probably out into the open ocean. We had never tried to find out. The water was clear, and the sun's rays always gleamed and bounced off of the cool water's surface. I have no idea why no one else would want to go there. It's not like it was a secret or anything.

I heard the car doors unlock and I watched as Kirstin slipped out of the car before I followed. We walked close together for about forty feet before arriving at our destination, the sandy shores of The Lake.

I set out my flower patterned beach towel and sat down, and I quickly noticed something felt different. There was just a strange vibe about the place, something out of place. The air felt musty, and clogged, like being trapped in a dome of some sort. Normally the air was light and free, great fresh air. The atmosphere just seemed to be whispering to be cautious, and it was just so odd.

Kirsten noticed it, too. I could tell when I looked at her face, her brows knitted together as she sniffed the air, as though it would reveal something we couldn't see. Shrugging, she lay out her towel next to mine and plopped down into it, pulled out the sun tan lotion from her bag and spread it gently over her outstretched arms and the rest of her body.

"Weird, isn't it?" I asked her, not entirely willing to just shrug it off like she did.

"I guess, maybe a storm is coming, or something," Kirsten sighed and we both turned our heads in unison up into the clear cloudless blue sky, stretching outward farther than the eye could see.