The last dance

"I love you Max."

"I love you too, Ryan."

Max and I were sitting in the hospital he had been in for going on two years; He's been fighting stomach cancer the whole time. I've only been here for half that fighting my own battles, anorexia sucks but it allowed me to meet the love of my life.

"Mr.-"

"I told you not to call me by my last name."

"well, Ryan its time for your weigh in."

I sigh, following the nurse. How I loath these. I cant stand the numbers on that scale, especially when they keep getting higher. We get to the room with the medical scale that I have to stand on once again.

"125, that's great, you're going up like you need to be." she smiles. I fake a smile and begin the journey back to my room. its the same thing every week. I keep being told I'm doing great but I never feel that way; I always feel like crap, an overweight blob, even if they tell me I'm the opposite. I'm so deep in thought that when I first enter my room I don't notice the guy standing in it.

"Hi" he says with a large smile on his face, taking me out of my thoughts.

"Who are you?" I ask frightened by his presence.

"Sorry," he coughs "I'm Max."

"Hi max, What are you doing in my room exactly?"

"umm, I had just seen you around a few times and thought I'd come and say hi."

"Oh, Well hi. Now if you'll excuse me I'm expected to eat that tray of garbage." I say pointing to the tray on my bed that I cant ever stand to see.

"Do you mind if I join you?" he asks " I-if you want me to of course, I don't have to."

I could tell he was nervous, it was cute. "I usually don't, but I'll make an exception just for you." I wink.

He blushes "uhhh."

I smile. "go get your food or are you just gonna watch me eat?" with that he leaves and comes back a few minutes later with a plate similar to mine.

"Ryan, Do you hear that?"

I listen and on the radio is our favorite song is playing "Stay with me, Our song,"

"let's dance the night away." He says trying to stand up almost falling.

"Don't hurt yourself now." I say

"Don't ruin the moment now." he smiles softly.

"so can I ask the big question?"

"what's the big question?" I ask nibbling on a carrot.

"Why are you in here?"

My heart skipped a beat, I really didn't want to tell him, anorexia is something girls get not guys. "ugh, can you tell me why you're here first?"

"well, I've been in here for about a year now fighting stomach cancer. its been a trip." he lets a soft fake laugh out.

"I'm sorry."

"it's fine you didn't cause it."

"well, to answer your question, I'm here because I was diagnosed with anorexia."

He looks at me and says. "How? If you don't mind you look a little skinny but not that bad."

"I was worse when I first got here."

"Well I'm glad you're getting better. The world wouldn't be the same without you."

"Thanks." I smile, god I've been smiling a lot since I met max, I haven't met someone who could do such a thing.

"Ry- I mean ohm, can I tell you something." he asks the nervousness present in his voice.

"You know I don't mind calling me Ryan, and go for it."

"Well, umm. First I want to tell you I'm gay, and the other thing is I think you're a sweet, cute guy and wanted to-" I cut him off from his blabbering by pressing my lips to his.

I pull back." I love you too."

Together we danced, I softly sung the lyrics to Max as we did "oh wont you stay with me cause you're all I need."

We stayed dancing through the whole song, I would look into his beautiful eyes while singing, he looked back at me smiling. I never want this moment to end.

"You know your eyes are beautiful." I say looking down to Max, whos lying in my arms.

He looks up to me from the movie on the computer screen. "You're so weird, you've been thinking about my eyes while you should have been watching the greatest movie ever"

"You're welcome." I say kissing him.

"Thank you, now stop thinking about my eyes and watch the movie about a bunch of kids who actually show up for detention."

"But your eyes are too pretty." I whine drawing out the last word for emphasis.

"Shh, its to a good part." He says.

"Nerd." I smile.

The song ends and Max leans in hugging me tightly." I love you Ryan."

"I love you too, Max." I say hugging him back.

Then i felt a heavy weight in my arms. "Max?!" He didn't respond and I feel him falling down. "Max! No! DOCTOR! I NEED A DOCTOR! Max, you cant do this you were getting better, I need you max." I'm crying my eyes out now.

"Mr. Gonzalez." the doctor says walking into max's room sadness in his voice, " I have some news for you."

I take Max's hand and grip it tightly." What is it?" Max asks.

"Your test results came back this morning," he sighs "and your cancer has spread. Its now in your liver."

My heart sinks as i feel Max tighten his grip of my hand. " Well I guess that just means I have fight even harder." he says, nearly in tears. "gotta' stay alive for Ryan."

Max doesn't respond to anything I'm saying I'm holding him until the doctor rushes in, when he takes him from me, putting him onto the bed checking the pulse.

He curses under his breath "NURSE, GET THE DEFIBULATOR." he yells. The nurse does so and they get it ready, "CLEAR!" pressing it against his chest he bounces up from the sudden shock, but he doesn't do anything else, and the nurse goes back to doing chest compressions and this happens for around five minutes until the doctor calls it.

"Time of death: 10:24 PM"

"NO, MAX!" I run to his side holding him, crying. "I love you max. I always will."