CHAPTER 1

"So in our next class we will talk about Pride and Prejudice. Read it and write abook report on it..."

The knock on the door interrupts the class.

"Sorry to interrupt. Haniyya Bilal the principal would like to see you now."

I look up baffled from my seat; it's unusual for the principal to look for me. I quickly pack my books from the desk and shove them into my bag as I know Mr Spinston is not one to like waiting and I follow the secretary all eyes on me.

*****************************************************************************************

"Come in"

I enter into the large brown and black office. Seated behind the large mahogany desk is the small but mighty Mr Spinston. It's hard to keep eye contact wit hhim. Though he is small there is this aura around him that tells you he is a no nonsense man.

"Sir you asked to see me"

"Yes,have a sit." He doesn't even take a look at me his eyes are still focused on his computer.

I sit rather uncomfortably waiting to hear what he had to say. After the most uncomfortable 15 seconds of my entire 16 years on earth, he looks u at me and says the most unexpected words.

"Your father just sent an email. You are expected to pack all your things within the hour. You brother is coming to get you. You are going home."

It takes me about 2 minutes before I can respond.

"Am I getting expelled?"

"No your father is withdrawing you"

"Why?"

"I think it's better if he tells you his reasons himself", he answers me rather gloomy with a hint of pity in his eyes. This gets me worried. Why is he pitying me? Oh no something bad must have happened. Is Umma Dead? I feel the office starting to spin. I slowly stand up and carry my bag not saying a word or hearing what Mr Spinston was saying.

*******************************************************************************************

All my friends are gathered in my room helping me pack what's left of my stuff.They do it quietly, not saying a word to me and I am very grateful for that because if I am forced to talk at the moments I'll be in tears.

"Haniyya you are needed at the admin"

I look up at the hostel parent who was talking to me. I could see a hint of pity in her eyes too. I feels the pool of tears in my eyes start to flow down. It's unusual for the nosy, loud, annoying Mrs Rachel to be this reserved. Things must be worse than I thought.

My friends gather around me in a group hug. All saying comforting words. I can't even make out what their saying but I keep nodding and pretend to hear them. My thoughts are filled with the worst possible scenarios.

I see Hashim my elder brother, leaning against his car. He looks far away. He doesn't notice my presence till I clear my throat.

"Hey sis",Hey sis? No rude remark? No comment about how hideous I look in my uniform? This adds to my worry.

He helps put my bag in the trunk and open the door for me. I turn to hug my best friend.She is already in tears.

"Bye Amani, I'll call you as soon as I can" I choke out.

"I love you and I'll be there for you no matter what happens....I'll miss you."

I get in the car quickly. Not wanting to cry harder in Amani's embrace.

****************************************************************

The car ride was very quiet. Neither of us spoke. I couldn't gather the courage to ask Hashim what was going on. A part of me knew it was bad news and just wanted to enjoy my little bubble before it explodes.

You see, my life has been very close to perfect so far. My parents were not rich but we lived a comfortable life. I went to the best secondary school, had good grades. I wanted to be a lawyer and fight for women's right. Yes a feminist as they call it. But not those extreme ones you see on TV who are always causing a problem, and not those shallow minded ones on twitter who just wanted attention. I wanted to change the world. I wanted women all over the world to live a life where they weren't oppressed by the male population. In short, I wanted them to live a life like mine. I was always encouraged by my dad to work hard in school. I wasn't prone to the life some northern girls lived.

I was the only female child. I had two brothers;Hashim was doing his NYSC at the moment and Jameel was studying to be a doctor in Canada. Yeah, I was the last child and only girl. This meant I was the apple of my dad's eye. Talking about my dad, I haven't heard from him in a while. The last time I called him he sounded so distant and kept giving straight answers.He also kept acting uninterested when I mentioned my school work to him. He shut me up when I asked for money to purchase a new literature book. He never acted this way till that phone call. I was so angry that I didn't call him after that and he didn't call either. This was 6 weeks ago. When I told Umma about it she sounded nervous and changed the topic. Very weird.

I am pulled out of my thoughts by the sound of our rusty old gate being opened by Malam Abudu. Wow that was fast. I must have been deep in thoughts because I didn't notice we were home already. The always smiling Malam Abudu didn't even smile at me today. Something bad must have happened. Malam Abudu has worked in our house since I was a toddler and I've never seen him look this sad.

I ran into the house and left Hashim and Malam Abudu offload my bags into the house. I needed to find Umma and make sure everything was alright.

"Umma!"

I barged into her room and found her looking out the window. She turned around slowly with a fake smile plastered on her face.

There and then all the little hope I had that things weren't bad were shattered. Al lthe tears I've been holding since I was in Mr Spinston's office came rushing down.

I didn't know why I was crying. But I knew my little bubble I thought about earlier had been exploded. Being in Umma's arms and smelling the familiar scent of her favorite perfume; Heat by Beyoncé, made me to cry harder. Just when I thought I couldn't cry harder than I already was, I realized she was shaking and after looking up to realize she was crying too, I cried harder.