Two: Videos and Thoughts

I sat in front of the desk top in my room. It had a web cam on the top that Austin and I used for our Youtube videos. The web cam faced my closet door, which had posters from our "fans" all over it. People who only liked me for my looks and videos of me lip-syncing to a stupid song or other. People that didn't really know me, but adored me. However, when someone adores you, you don't shove them into the dirt and kick shit into their mouths.

I rocked back in my computer chair. As I waited for Austin to get his shit figured out, I grabbed my laptop and got onto facebook. I typed in Maria Allen and looked at the people that popped up.

Maria Jessica Allen, Jackson, Mississippi

Maria Allen

Allen Maria

There was no Rhea. She didn't have a Facebook? Or had she just blocked me? I started thinking of her cold brown eyes, how real they seemed. They showed she didn't trust people. Then, she said something about her brother, her mom dying, something, and fear had ran through.

"Dude, hello?" Austin was talking to me and I didn't even realize it.

"Sorry, man, I was just thinking."

"Yeah, thinking gets you into trouble, though."

I shrugged. "Yeah, well I know that. I just can't stop thinking about this girl...."

"Girl?" Austin stopped what he was doing. "What girl? Hannah? Jackie?"

I shook my head. "No, no. She's new. Just started today and-"

"And you were going to let me make a video and you have all of this information?"

"We're acting like girls, Austin."

He laughed, his big white smile penetrating every thing else. "Is she coming to the party?"

"I haven't asked yet. I think it's going to take some persuading."

"How?" He spun around in his chair.

"Well, you see, she isn't exactly very friendly towards me." I shrugged again and closed my computer.

"What do you mean that she isn't exactly friendly towards you? How can she not be? Look at you!" He chuckled and started spinning in the chair. "What's her name?"

"Her name is Rhea. Short for Maria, I guess. I met her dad today and-"

"You already met her dad?" His eyes were huge.

"No, like, they live down the road and I was helping them move some boxes. This morning, she was at school, and by fourth hour she wasn't at school. And then she wasn't at home for all I knew, either. She's cute. She has really dark brown hair and a fairly tan face. She has the cutest nose...."

"Invite her to your party!" Austin yelled. He jumped out of the chair and slammed into my bed. I set my laptop onto the bedside table that I had.

"I can ask her but I'm not sure that she'd go for it. She was really cold. Like she didn't want to talk to me."

"She's probably scared. It is a new town, after all."

--

Austin had left an hour before, and I was officially getting into bed for sleep. Andrew was home, downstairs and watching television with my mom. I lay underneath my blankets and looked at my ceiling. There was too much heat, almost. There was no need for all of my blankets, but the warmth that they gave almost gave a kind of comforting boiling feeling. I felt sweat beginning underneath my skin, but I was okay with it.