Chapter 10

I told ya I would put up chapter ten as well, and, here it is! I hope you like this chapter.

ENJOY!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                          Chapter Ten

The dragons had been very concerned when I told them I got fired, thinking I meant I got burnt by fire. After I explained it to them, however, they were all very sympathetic. Honestly, I didn’t care. I should have – I mean, how was I going to pay the bills? I was earning no money and at the risk of losing my apartment, but I just laughed it off. Work and bills just seemed so… Trivial, you know? Compared to what else I was doing.

Anyway, exactly one week before my 22nd birthday – I had nearly forgotten about it in all the buzz of trying to find the Von Hue guy – me and the dragons were going out through NYC, to have another look for previously mentioned Von Hue guy. Well, I went and looked for him, while Callaina, Ruber, Viridus, and Argentum spoke worriedly to me through the mind link.

Before I left, they stressed to me, for the 100th time, how dangerous Gridlo Von Hue really was.

Cyris, he is extremely powerful. And there is no doubt he will have men working for him as well.’ Argentum cautioned me.

“Hired muscle.” I nodded my head. I was fairly confident about my ability to take them on. I took several self-defence classes two years ago. And for a while I did a little karate. I was taught to use my litheness and agility against their strength and size. I could get past them.

Hopefully.

Also, Cyris, I didn’t tell you this earlier for fear you would have not agreed to help us, but you will need to know now.

My bored expression changed to curiosity in seconds at Argentum’s words.

“What are you on about?” I asked.

Well, the reason Von Hue’ He telepathically spat out the name ‘is able to take our clan member’s powers is because he stole what is called The Power Stone.

The other three dragons lowered their horned heads reverently.

The Power Stone holds the power of all the dragons, apart from the clan leaders. It is also, what made Von Hue into the insane man he is today.’ Argentum paused to look at my already confused face, before continuing.

The Stone is very… tempting to humans, Cyris. What I mean is… He may use that against you. To try and make you turn to his side. What I-

“Come to the dark side we have cookies.” I interrupted him, staring into space. The dragons stared at me strangely. I blushed, and gestured for Argentum continue.

Anyway… Well, what I need you to do, is when ever you feel the Stone’s power pushing at your mind, think of us. Think of Bob. Think of everything Gridlo Von Hue has done. Remember all your happy times. Those thoughts will be like poison to Von Hue. You need to be strong Cyris.

I nodded, my mood suddenly sober.

Are you sure you will be okay without us Cy?’ Ruber asked worriedly, using the nickname he and Callaina had given me. We had grown very close in the past two weeks.

In all truth, I was already feeling queasy about looking for Von Hue without the watchful eyes of the dragons to help me, but I remembered Argentum’s words.

Be strong, Cyris,  I told myself.

“Yeah, don’t worry about it Ru. I’ll be fine.” I had taken to giving them all nicknames too. Ru, Laina, Vi, and… well, I hadn’t given Argentum one yet.

The dragons didn’t look convinced by my act, but they knew I had to do it. I could see in their eyes they hated having to send me in to do this. I smiled at them comfortingly, and then opened my arms wide for them all. Ru came and hugged me first, then Laina, Vi came over a few seconds later, until even Argentum joined and we had a big group hug, and I was enveloped in a rainbow of leathery wings. I smiled. This was my family.

When we finally pulled away, Argentum coughed, embarrassed at being caught showing even the slightest weakness, but we all just smiled at him.

Good luck Cyris. We will be with you through everything.’ Viridus said to me.

I nodded. Shooting them all a ‘thank you’ glance, I turned, picked up my little blue backpack, and walked back inside, and out the front door.

What I didn’t know, was that the four dragons behind me were telepathically talking amongst themselves, about me.

Argentum, are you sure she is strong enough? I don’t think I could take it if she went over to Gridlo’s side.’ Viridus asked, worry seeping through her voice.

The deep voice of the Aeris Clan-Leader replied, ‘We would all suffer from it. But she is strong enough. I know it.