Chapter 1: First Introduction

Start from the beginning

"Why not ask his girlfriend, the Freakette?" She asked.

You look up at her and said "Ok, first of all, I'm not his girlfriend. Second of all, I maybe smart but I'm not that smart; I don't know how he is doing it." And you walked past her and out of the building.

Once outside, you closed your eyes and took a deep breath, trying to calm yourself down. At that moment, your phone goes off again. You look and see a text:

Bart's Lab
Come, if convenient

-SH

You shake your head, smiling. You text him back:

On my way

-(Y/I)

And off to St Barts you went. Few minutes later, you paid the cabbie and climbed out onto the steps of St Barts.

You enter the building and see a familiar man heading towards the hall with an unfamiliar man, with sandy blonde hair and using a cane. "Mike!" You hollered.

Mike turns around and sees and waves at you. "Ah Sergeant (Y/N)! How are you this afternoon?" He asked you, when you approached him and the other man. Both of you shake hands as you reply "I've been better." Mike nods at you then turns to the second man, who stands up a little straighter, when you look at him.

"This is an old friend of mine, John Watson." Mike said as he points at the man, John.

"Ah, Mr Watson. Pleasure to meet you, I'm (Y/N) (L/N)." You said as you stretch out your hand to him.

"Pleasure to meet you, too. And please call me John." He replied with a smile.

"Ok John. You can call me (Y/N)." You said as he shakes your hand. When your hands broke apart, John looks over at Mike and asked. "Is she the other person you told me about that was looking for a flatmate?" You stare between him and Mike before your sight set on Mike.

"Mike are you gonna introduce him to...?" You started to ask when Mike nodded. You gave a small chuckle and said. "Well, why don't we both introduce him? I was heading over there to meet him, anyway." Mike nodded and the three of you headed down the hallway to the labs.

Mike knocks on the door and the three of you enter. There sitting at the far end of the lab, looking through a microscope, was Sherlock. He glanced briefly up at you three then turns back to his work.

John limps into the room, looking around at all the equipment. "Well, bit different from my day." He said. "You've no idea!" Mike chuckled.

"Mike, can I borrow your phone? There's no signal on mine." Sherlock said, still not looking up.

"And what's wrong with the landline?" Mike asked.

"He prefers to text." You told Mike as Sherlock makes a grunt noise, saying you were right.

"Sorry. It's in my coat." Mike replied. You started to reach for your phone when John spoke up. "Er, here. Use mine." Sherlock looks up at him and said. "Oh. Thank you." He glanced briefly at you and Mike and walks towards John.

"It's an old friend of mine, John Watson." Mike introduced as Sherlock approaches John and takes his phone from him. Turning away from him, he flips open the keypad and starts to type on it.

"Afghanistan or Iraq?" Sherlock asked him. John frowns, while you and Mike smile knowingly. John looks at Sherlock, who continues to type. "Sorry?" John asked, confused. "Which was it--Afghanistan or Iraq?" He asked, again.

John hesitates and looks over at you and Mike, confused. Both of you just smile, smugly, at John. "Afghanistan. Sorry, how did you know...?" John asked, as the doors opened and in came Molly Hooper. "Ah, Molly, coffee. Thank you." Sherlock said as he hands John's phone back to him and takes the mug from Molly and looks at her before asking. "What happened to the lipstick?"

Molly smiles awkwardly at him and replies "It wasn't working for me."

"Really? I thought it was a big improvement. Your mouth's too small now." Sherlock states as he walks back to his station and takes a sip of the coffee. "Okay" Molly replies as she heads out the door. You shake your head at this. Poor Molly, she tries so hard to get Sherlock's attention.

"How do you feel about the violin?" Sherlock asked John, who looks around confused and said "I'm sorry, what?" He asked.

"I play the violin when I'm thinking. Sometimes I don't talk for days. Would that bother you?" Sherlock asked him. John looks over at you and Mike.

"Well potential flatmates should know the worst about each other." You said to him, smiling.

Then John's gaze lands on Mike. "Oh, so you told him about me?" He asked.

"Not a word." Mike replied, shaking his head.

"Then who said anything about flatmates?" John asked, turning back to Sherlock.

"I did. Told Mike this morning that I must be a difficult man to find a flatmate for. Now here he is just after lunch with an old friend, clearly just home from military service in Afghanistan. Wasn't that difficult a leap." Sherlock replied, as he put on his trench coat.

"How did you know about Afghanistan?" John asked but Sherlock ignored his question as he wraps his scarf around his neck, then picks up his phone and checks it.

"Got my eye on a nice little place in central London. Together we ought to be able to afford it." He says as he walks towards John. "We'll meet there tomorrow evening; seven o'clock. Sorry--gotta dash. I think I left my riding crop in the mortuary. Come along, (Y/N)." He said as he puts his phone inside his coat pocket. He walks past John to you and asks "Ready?" You nod as you head for the door.

"Is that it?" John asked, looking between you and Sherlock.

"Is that what?" Sherlock asked him.

"We've only just met and we're gonna go and look at a flat?" John asked.

"Problem?" You asked.

John smiles in disbelief, looking across at Mike for help but Mike just continues smiling at you three. "We don't know a thing about each other; I don't know where we're meeting; All I know is her name." He said, pointing at you then looks over at Sherlock. "But I don't know your name."

Sherlock looks closely at John for a moment, then says "I know your an Army Doctor and you've been invalided home from Afghanistan. I know you've got a brother who's worried about you but you won't go to him for help because you don't approve of him--possibly because he's an alcoholic; more likely because he recently walked out on his wife. And I know your therapist thinks you limp's psychosomatic--quite correctly, I'm afraid." John looks down at his feet and cane and shuffles his feet awkwardly. You smile at him and asked. "That's enough to be going on with, don't you think?"

Sherlock smiles over at you and starts to head out the door, before leaning back. "The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221 B Baker Street." He said and click-winks at John, then turns to you. "Come along, (y/n) and afternoon." And he walks out of the room. You hold the door and look at John, who is standing there in disbelief.

"Yeah. He's always like that." You said and you wink at him and follow Sherlock.