Chapter 2

"Hey" my brother greeted.

"Dean"

I hugged him. We are very close, we do things together all the time. We hunt together and sometimes wrestle. He always win though. He also would tickle me until I am a laughing mess. He's vey protective.

There was this one time when we were hunting when suddenly, a Berserker Squirrel attacked me. Since it was still a young one, I was not heavily damaged. I got scratches though.

I was laughing my ass off when he keeps on swearing saying that if ever he caught that mad thing,  he's going to torture it to death. He said I should not laugh because it's serious. I could have killed. I just roll my eyes whenever that happens. I mean really? Who would die from scratches?

Sometimes my parents would ask us, 'Was there any romance involving?' They keep on saying that we don't really act as brothers, more like lovers. We only laugh at them whenever that happens.

The day he went away to go to school was the worst day of my life. Waking up that day was terrible, I want to cry but I also want to be strong. My brother probably won't go after seeing me breaking down. I forced myself to smile, but when it was time to ride the carriage- that's when the waterworks began. I just can't help it.

He was my only friend. Apart from my family, I haven't seen any other human being.

He comforted me. He said that I will be alright, I shouldn't worry 'cause mother and father is here and he'll visit sometimes.

He looked at me, "Tell me Sky, do you want me to stay?"

I wanted to scream 'YES! Please stay' but I knew that he always wanted to go to school. I don't want to be the reason why he can't achieve his dreams.

I shook my head. "No, I wanted you to stay but I know that this is more important. Besides, you'll visit right?"

I forced a smile. He hugged me and kissed my forehead. "I knew you would say that. Thank you."

I just smiled from the memories.

"How are you?"-my brother asked.

"Im fine"-me

"Are you excited for tommorow? I can't wait."

"Of course I am. But I'm also afraid. What if I don't have the aptitude?"

"Oh come on. I know for sure you have it. And even if you don't, I'll still love you. You're my brother."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah"

"Ok guys time for dinner." Mom called.

"Wow. This looks delicious!" He exclaimed looking at the different kind of food in the table.

We have the usual small talks like how school and others. After that we went to bed, because of the lack of room. My brother and I have always shared a room and a bed. It's big enough to fit the both of us.

Morning came and we hastily ate breakfast and get dressed immediately. We are going to the city. I'm so excited that I'm bouncing. We rode our carriage straight to the city.

All my life, I was always surrounded by trees. This is my first time going in a city. It was bustling with people doing their everyday routine.

"Who are they?"
I asked pointing to a group of men wearing armors and a spear.

"Those are guards. They ensure that no fights will happen. Fighting is forbidden in cities unless its a lawless one."

They checked the carriage then signalled for us to go forward. Whenever father goes to the city, he often brings fruits, meat etc. to sell. We also need the money for the testing. Testing a persons aptitude is tiring work for the tester that is why it is expensive. It cost 10 silver for one testing and if you don't have the aptitude, there are no refunds. This is why many people dont know if they have the quality to be a magician or not. They won't sacrifice their small amount of money from a gamble that they aren't sure if they can win.

The currency here is unusual. There is copper, silver and gold. 1 silver can be converted to 100 copper and 1 gold is equal to 100 silver.

If you think that the things my father brought to sell is enough for the testing then you are wrong. All of those would only equal to at most 70 coppers. How am I going to pay for the testing? That's easy. I am a beautiful boy so I am going to sell my body.

Joke. No way.

Thankfully, my brother was enrolled in a rich school where students are given a generous amount of coins every month depending on his stars.

Actually, my father forbid my brother to go to school. My mother wanted to protest but she can't do anything because it's within reason. We just don't have the money.

Before the start of classes, my father brought Dean with him to the city to sell some things. That time, my brother already developed his super strenght. I don't know the whole situation but apparently, my brother saved a young lady which is a noble from being killed. One thing led to another, the father of the lady hired Dean as a bodyguard for his daughter. In exchange, he would enroll Dean in the noble lady's school which is a high-class school.

My brother's stipend every month is 50 silvers. His school is too extravagant I tell you.

He sends some of his money to my parents while the others he kept for safekeeping. This assured us that I will be going to the school my brother is currently studying.

We stopped at a building which has huge banner, Mage Guild it says. We  went inside and asked the receptionist.

"Hey, my brother is going try the aptitude test"-Dean

She looked at me then looked at my brother.

"Oh, you can go to the second floor but they have to stay though" - pointing at my parent- "only mages can enter."

"Don't we have to pay the fines first?"

"It's okay. It's on me. Besides your hot."

She then winked at my brorher.

"Ok then" he grinned.

Well I can't blame her, my brother's really good looking and has a body to die for. Sometimes I question myself, are we really brothers which he would always answer "Of course. I just got the manly beauty while you got the other." Until now, I still don't understand what that meant.

We knocked on the door and opened it. A man in his late thirties came into view. He was busy checking some papers.

"What can I do for you?"

"My brother wants to be tested."

He stood up and opened some kind of cabinet then pull out a glass ball.

"Put your hands on the ball." The man said.

He explained first the basics of magic. According to him, a mage will have an elemental affinity. Either fire, earth, air, water, ice, wood, lightning, light or dark (by the way i just added the other the first four are the original). Some people can have two of this affinities and if you're lucky three. It is even said that others could have all. Back to topic.

He said that it will depend on what color the crystal would light.

This is the colors and there corresponding elements;

Red- Fire
Yellow- Earth
Cyan- Air
Blue- Water
Icy Blue- Ice
Green- Wood
Dark Blue- Lightning
Gold- Light
Violet or Black- Dark

After that, he started to chant. Colors started to pour out of his hands and was all absorbed by the ball. The man kept on chanting until all the spaces in the ball are filled with colors.

The colors started to fade one by one but what dissapointed me was that no color was present.