oo3. season of the witch

I woke in my bed, the alarm clock clanging loudly

I woke in my bed, the alarm clock clanging loudly. My body was sore and my head felt like a ton of bricks on my shoulders. I pulled myself out of bed and slunk to the shower. When I finally could pull myself from the hot water that replenished my energy, I glanced at the kitten covered calendar that hung in my room. It was Saturday.

I quickly dressed myself and made my way down the hallway to the kitchen. Dad must have already left, the usual mess was cleaned up, but she could still smell stale cigarettes and flat beer throughout the living room.

The phone began ringing as I put coffee grinds into our machine. I glanced at the clock. 10:00 A.M. Shrugging to myself, I answer the phone.

"Hello?"

"Rebecca? It's Benny. Just wondering if you'd like to come in to work and help out."

"Yeah, sure, Benny. Let me get my stuff together and I'll be right there."

"Thanks, Beck."

&

As I walked down my dirt driveway, I heard a familiar screeching of breaks and rumble of an engine. I watch closely as Jon pulls up in front of me, his arm holding a cigarette out the window.

"Going to work?" He asked, I glance down at my blue waitress dress, tucked under my messenger bag and look back up at him with a smirk.

"No." I respond, batting my eyelashes at him.

"Benny called me, he asked if I could help with dishes tonight. I'm supposed to be home for Will, but I can't turn down the money." Jon said, a meek smile on his face. I round the car and find myself in the passenger seat, I place my hand over his.

"I'm sure he'll be okay. He's a smart kid, Jon."

"You're right, let's go."

&

After a few moments of silence between us, my hand back in my own lap. Jon's fingers tapping on the steering wheel along to the faint sounds of The Clash. He asked.

"So, how did last night go, I mean, with your dad?"

"Fine." I reply quick and monotone. I was never great at speaking my feelings. What I wanted to say was, 'that night was just a mass overflow of pent up crap. I did a stupid thing and my father and I had a moment. Now it's over, life back to normal.' But those words didn't come out.

Jon knew me well enough to just drop it. We had just pulled into Benny's parking lot. He pulled into a parking space and we silently got out and went into work.

&

I heaved a sigh as I leaned against the counter, only a couple more hours till close and it was busy. Even for a Saturday. Benny had the best food in town, especially considering it was the only diner in town. Small towns are good for that kind of thing.

I bent down and grabbed the buss bucket that had accumulated quite a few dishes and carried them out back. The dining room was now almost empty, some old timers were seated in a corner booth, sipping coffee and chatting.

In the back, Benny stood over the grill, scraping off stuck on food particles. Jon was bent over, elbow deep in soapy water. I walked over to the dish sink and placed my buss bucket inside. Jon looked up at me, his arms still hidden under steamy bubbles, and smiled.

I smiled back, glancing at Benny over my shoulder, who was too focused on one spot of black on the grill to notice us. I winked at Jon and went back to the front, I needed to wipe down some tables and check on the geezers.

&

I finished wiping down the last table where the old men had sat. I had swept up all the crumbs and abandoned straw wrappers. I flipped the "OPEN" sign to "CLOSED". Something caught my eye from the parking lot. I squinted through the window pane to see better. It looked like a tall man with long arms. Something was off about it.

"Rebecca! Are you finished up there?" Benny called out from the kitchen. I turned my head from the window to yell yes back to him, and then back to the window. Whatever was there, was now gone. It could have been my imagination, not getting a ton of sleep could do that to you.

&

"Get home safe, kids." Benny said as Jon and I slipped into his car.

"Thanks, Benny. You too. Same time tomorrow?" Jon asked, letting his arm rest on the window. Benny nodded and got into his own truck, and headed out.

I leaned into the seat, stretching out across the front seat, letting my head fall onto Jon's shoulder as he drove away from the diner. The sound of the growling engine and the soft lull of The Clash sent me to a light sleep.

&

"Hey, Becca. We're at your house." Jon whispered, gently shaking me: I sat up from my slouched position and glanced around, regaining my consciousness. Dad still wasn't home, probably still at the office.

"Thanks," I mumble sleepily, I look over at him and realize that he had turned fully in his seat to look at me. I blink a couple times, trying to understand what was happening and he quickly leaned in and planted a slobbery awkward kiss on my lips.

I didn't have time to say anything before he did it again. I felt a strange tingly sensation in my chest and all down my body. I closed my eyes and kissed back, and as soon as I returned the gesture he broke away and turned away from me.

"Goodnight." Jon said, staring at his steering wheel as if it had grown a head. I stare at him for a moment before pushing myself out of his car.

I stood at the end of my driveway as Jon drove away, I didn't dare turn to watch him go. I didn't want to know why he pulled away. Maybe my breath still smelled like the burger I ate earlier? Maybe it was too minty? I had popped like 25 mints that day, only cause my apron had a pocket full of them.

I continued to contemplate as I walked up the driveway closer to my house. I put my hand on the door handle to enter the house when I heard something snap behind me.

I turned to find nothing behind me, maybe it was an animal? I shrug it off and pull the front door open, flicking on the light as I entered. I heard a creak behind me, and before I could look, something grabbed my ankle and dragged me out of the house.

I screamed and grabbed on the door frame, my nails broke under the pressure of the thing pulling me and when my grip was ripped away I'm sure I took some wood with me. I hit my head off the steps of the porch as whatever dragged me to wherever. I slipped into black, a new pressure forming in my head.

&

(A/N; sorry for the late update. it was my birthday last time I updated, so I took a little birth-cation.)