I edged closer to him, my voice barely a whisper. "We can't do jack-squat until you put  muzzle on your macho pride and let your body rest."

                  "I was resting," he grit out.

                  I stared at Sin's shadowy face, trying to read him as best as possible, and fighting the urge to stab him somewhere else and let him bleed out even more. "Is there something you're not telling me? What's the real reason you won't go to sleep again? Do you know something?" Suddenly, I began to press. "What did Smiley tell you?"

                  "Nothing, he didn't tell me anything. I just don't trust that Taco guy," Sin admitted a little too quickly. "Next time I close my eyes, they could never open again, and  he could take advantage of you. The thought of that..." He took a deep breath, a low, protective growl rattling his chest. "I need to get you out of here, I don't care about what happens to me."

                  "As sweet as that  little speech was, you're an idiot for saying that, and you know it. I'm not worth you dying."

                  "You are completely worth it, Pepper Ballard. I'm the one who determines who's important in my life, not you. You're worth everything." Sin's eyes temporarily grazed my body, then he reached a hand slowly and shakily to my face, cupping my chin. It was then that I wanted to tell him about Hunter's visit to the cell, which I hadn't exactly...gotten the chance to explain...

                   "By the way, if I reach the brink of death tonight, you better show me your goods before I croak."

                  I hit him lightly on the leg. "Stop it."

                  Sin gave me a sad smile. "You're beautiful, Pepper."

                   I started to laugh,  pressing my cheek into his hand. "My goods? That made you sound really old, grandpa," I whispered.

                  "Fine, then I'll reword it. If you want me to die a happy homophobic Psycho you'd show me your tits before I die," he teased.

                  An ache settled in my stomach. Not going to lie, supernatural Pepper got seriously horny after that one.

                  Regardless, I rolled my eyes at Sin. Truthfully, I was trying to hide the fact that I was about to cry. I hadn't even considered Sin dying that night. "Jesus Trinidad, you're going to make me start crying, and you know it'll be the ugly cry too because now that I'm a hybrid I find myself super sensitive about everything." I leaned in and gave Sin a quick kiss on the lips. It was a sweet kiss, that brought heat to my face.

                  Sin looked stunned when I pulled away from his mouth. "What was that for?"

                   "I'm sorry for calling you homophobic and psychotic, ok?"

                  "I'm sorry for giving you a C on that one essay when you deserved an A--"

                  "WHAT--?"

                  "Kidding. I knew it was your way of flirting with me by using those nicknames anyways," Sin interrupted, wincing a little and then situating himself. "Admit it, I'm an attractive man, and you're an unusual woman who normally isn't attracted to men like me. You went from calling me a homophobic-psycho, to grabbing my junk in the school's public bathroom, to hating my guts, to giving me a pity kiss, because deep down you know that you like me and don't want me to die."