Part 1/10

Emma sighed as she paced back and forth, waiting impatiently as her friend, Ruby, thumbed through the pages of the screenplay, On the Virge, making notes of the parts she thought were funny. Emma stood in the kitchen holding a coffee mug, peering around the corner at her while she was trying not to seem too eager for her friend to finish.

Finally, Ruby closed the pages of the screenplay and set it down on the coffee table.

"So, what do you think?"

Ruby's expressions remained unreadable for a moment before she answered. "It's even better than it was before."

"Oh really?!" Emma couldn't help but let her excitement take over her as she stepped from the kitchen to where Ruby was sitting and joined her on the couch.

"Yeah really, Emma." Ruby laughed at Emma's enthusiasm. "It's hilarious!" Her expressions faded a bit as she continued. "But you have written this thing over a hundred times and you are still the only one who's read it. You gotta get it out there, you know. You gotta get it read by someone who matters."

"I can't get anyone to return my calls, you know that."

"You have to network. You have to go out and play the game!"

Emma nodded with a frown on her face. She knew what she had to do but it was harder than she ever thought it would be.

"I moved here a month after you and I'm already working for Victor Whales, the hottest-"

"Exec in town," Emma interrupted as she rolled her eyes.

"Yes," Ruby replied, a little too proudly.

"Yeah, I know and that's different."

"Why?" Ruby asked, confused. "Because I wanna break into producing?"

"No. Because you're blowing him," Emma said sharply.

Ruby's eyes blew wide as her jaw dropped at the accusations.

Emma smirked at her friend because she knew she was right. "I could just make the movie myself. We could shoot it at a super low budget," Emma suggested as they both stood up, heading for the door.

"We?"

"You said it yourself, it's a great script."

"Yeah, Emma, but be realistic. How are you going to afford camera, lights, crew, set... I mean you're broke?"

"I could sell my grandmother's engagement ring," Emma replied, holding up the diamond ring on her finger. Her aunt had passed the ring down to her after her grandmother died a few years ago.

Ruby looked at her, stunned. "That's a family heirloom! Your aunt would kill you!"

Emma shrugged. "Good artists make sacrifices for their dreams."

Ruby sighed at her as she opened the door. "Why don't you put your big dreams aside for a little while? You're twenty-four years old. Go on a date or something," Ruby said as she hugged her. "Good night, I'll talk to you later."

"Goodnight." Ruby walked out and Emma shut the door behind her.

Who was Emma kidding anyway? She couldn't deny the fact that she would love some romance in her life. She had graduated from film school months ago and had absolutely no luck landing a job. None that were related to her field anyway. And she tried everyone in the business. Their was even a famous filmmaker, Gary Marshall, who her professor had connections with, but she was only ever able to get a hold of his secretary.

The next day, she mailed her resumes to a few other companies who were looking for editors. It wasn't the job she wanted, but she thought if she could just get her foot in door of the film industry, she could have a better chance at becoming a film maker.