Part 10

First hour was really quiet. Dan refused to talk to me the entire time. I don't know why he doesn't want to talk to me, he was the one who blew everything out of proportion. Logan just was being kind, why is he being such an asshole about it? He should be glad Logan doesn't make fun of me anymore.

Over the intercom, the principal announces that homecoming is soon. 

Oh fucking boy.

I was kind of hoping Dan would ask me, but fat chance of that happening anymore. 

Maybe I should just ask him instead...

***

P.E has been much better, but since the word got around Chance is coming back tomorrow the atmosphere has been quite mundane. No one was chatting with anyone, and even the lockers opening and closing were more quiet than usual. Not even Gabs, the loudest, most outgoing kid I know said almost nothing. He only asked if anyone had extra socks, then went back to changing. 

This makes me want to scream. People should be talking! It shouldn't matter that Chance is coming back, we should be able to have a good time when he isn't here. Matter of fact we should be able to have a good time even when is here! 

I could've done anything to break the silence. I could have slammed my locker, or threw down my books, or even get someone else to say something for me. But no. I just did what every other scared boy in there did. Changed, and walked off. 

***

At track practice, Dan wasn't hanging out in the stands around the track like he usually does. Who knows where he was. It doesn't matter to me. He's the one who's mad at me, not the other way around. 

I just kind of miss him cheering me on...

***

After track practice was over he came up to me and said he got a ride with one of his other friends. I think his name was Sean or something. 

When the neighbor came, someone different was driving. I think that's her son. When I got into the minivan, the usual silence was filled with a quiet indie rock band playing. It's a nice change from the normal chatter between Dan and the middle aged women that lives across the street. I still miss the sound of talking though.

The only words exchanged was a goodbye from him, and he was gone.

***
When I walked inside the sound of the radio wasn't on, and a wave of sheer panic washes over me until I see a note written on the table beside the door. 

"Phil,

      I've gone out with Mrs.Erolds and I will not be back until much later tonight. She said it was a double date with her husband and his brother. From what I've heard, he sounds like quite the gentleman. Make sure you finish your homework."

I smile. Even though she had gone blind, she refused to forget how to write and found a technique that worked for her. I'm really proud of her for that. 

"Ps: Don't have too much fun with Dan. Love you!" 

My smile suddenly falters, and my knees feel weak. I only make it as far as the staircase when I have to sit on the last step and the tears start to fall. What's wrong with me? I was fine without him all day, so why does it matter to me now? I hate this feeling without him. I hate myself.

I need him here with me...