Chapter Five

Spencer began asking questions in rapid succession, his mind racing much faster than yours, which was cloudy with exhaustion. You racked your brain to give him every single detail that you could procure, thinking long and hard about even the most minute instances; anything to help the BAU catch the ring leader that had ruined the lives of so many children... so many families... so many loved ones. You began to feel overwhelmed with emotion, and could feel tears swimming in your eyes. You looked down, blinking back the droplets of water with fervor, determined to not let someone you had just met see you cry.

Spencer cocked his head to the side, trying to make eye contact with you in order to see why you had suddenly averted your eyes from his gaze. Before he could say anything, you abruptly stood up, lurching back in the chair and almost spilling both your own and Spencer's coffee everywhere. You rushed out of the door of the conference room, desperate to be out of the agent's line of sight and to find a bathroom where you could collect yourself before you looked foolish in front of anyone else.

You darted your eyes from the ground to your surroundings, trying in vain to ascertain where the nearest restroom would be. You felt the heat rising to your cheeks, and your chest tightening with panic: you needed to get out of here, now. Giving up the search for the bathroom, you stumbled to the front door which you and Spencer had come through when you first arrived. The cool air hit you and stung your hot face while you sat on the curb, trying to focus on slowing your breathing down and regaining perspective on the situation.

It's okay. You thought to yourself. You don't need to punish yourself for being upset- You've seen and been through more than any average person could handle. Breathe in. Breathe out. Breath i- "Agent Y/L/N?" you heard a voice ask tentatively.

You raised your head and turned slightly to face the direction that the voice was coming from. There was Agent Reid, crouching next to you, concern tainting his features. "I'm sorry if I upset you. I didn't take into account all the trauma that you must have been through..." Reid said, trailing off in his apology. You began to talk but realized your voice was painfully shaky, so you took a breath and started again. "It's not your fault Agent Reid. That was extremely unprofessional of me. I need to finish helping you and your team."

As you went to rise, Reid offered you his hand hesitantly. You peered up at him, wondering if you should take it. With one hand bracing on the ground, you began to push yourself up, grasping his hand as you stood. Spencer looked down sheepishly, turning slightly pink, just as you yourself did. You released his hand when you were upright once more, and quietly stood facing each other.

"We should take a break. You can rest in the conference room, if you'd like." Reid offered. You appreciated the offer but couldn't imagine being able to accept it. "That probably isn't a good idea. I don't think the Bureau would appreciate me sleeping on the job." You responded. Reid shrugged, "I'll keep watch then, and will put the blinds of the conference room down. Nobody will know." You knew you looked like hell, and could feel the dark circles under your eyes, and the pain blossoming in your head; you agreed, but were still skeptical, as Reid gestured you to follow him back inside.

***

Thank you for all the feedback! I'm sorry it took me so long to update, but I promise I will be updating much more regularly now that I know you guys are enjoying the story :)