Four: Daddy Issues

Start from the beginning

     "Well, I guess it's not your car. It's you." I told him.

     "Well, then what's wrong with me? Last I checked, the little squirt liked me." He defended.

     I had forgotten he had already met Sophia. I was still mad at Sky for that.

     "You're driving isn't exactly the best," I told him. "Plus, I'm one of the moms that don't want you around their kid."

     "My driving is perfectly fine." He said, ignoring my other comment.

     "It only took us five minutes to get here. It should've taken at least ten." I told him.

     "So I'm a little fast, big deal." He complained.

     "Just get me back home so I can pick her up, safely." I reiterated.

     "You aren't gonna make it on time." He stated.

     Looking at the time on my phone, he was right. The school was at least 15 minutes away. Even with Zack speeding, we'd be late if he dropped me off first.

     Sighing, I said "Fine. But the second I feel like you are driving too recklessly with Sophia in the car, you're pulling over and I'm driving."

     He rolled his eyes and sighed. "Fine."

     We reached his car and drove away from the park. I complained about his driving, but he reminded me Sophia wasn't in the car yet. As much as I wanted to make him pull over, he was right.

     We pulled up to the school right as the kids were running out the door. I spotted Sophia's blonde hair, looking around for my car.

     I climbed out of the charger and called her name. Her face lit up and she ran towards me.

     "What happened to your car, Mommy?" Her high voice asked me. "Did it break?"

     I chucked and said "No, my car didn't break. It's at home." I clarified for her.

     "So how did you get here?" She asked me. As soon as she said it, her face fell. "You didn't walk here, did you? Because that would mean I would have to walk back too."

     I rolled my eyes at her laziness and said "No, I didn't walk here. And even if I did, it wouldn't hurt you to walk a little." I told her.

     She placed her hand on her chest and sighed with relief. Drama Queen. "So what, you flew?" She asked me with sarcasm dripping from her voice.

    "In a way," I mumbled, referencing to Zack's speed. "Zack was nice enough to give me a ride here. So make sure to say thank you when we get in the car, okay?"

     She nodded her head then grabbed my hand. I walked her back to Zack's car and opened the back door, realizing something that I should have long ago. Zack didn't have a car seat.

     "What's the holdup?" Zack called from over his shoulder.

     "You don't have a car seat," I told him.

     "Well, no shit. Why would I?" He replied.

     "Don't use that language around Sophia!" I snapped at him. "How is she supposed to ride in here? She needs a car seat."

Sophia tugged on my shirt to get my attention. "I'm a big girl. I don't need a car seat."

     "Yes, sweetie, you do. It's dangerous to ride without one." I explained to her.

     "You don't ride in a car seat." She pointed out, crossing her little arms.

     I rolled my eyes at my sassy four-year-old and went back to the situation at hand. "I can't let Sophia ride without a car seat. It's too dangerous."