caught

(random song at the top: dark times; the weeknd)

"Louis! Louis!"

My head had snapped over at the familiar voice of my friend, Ivy. She was chewing on a snickers bar while pointing across the street at something. Following her finger, my blue hues turned to the street corner she wanted me to look at and oddly enough, it was a dumpster. One we haven't seen around here. A new food place had just opened up next to the dollar store so maybe that's what it was for. 

Ivy is a girl who's five years older than me. Twenty one years old. I'm sixteen. She found me and decided to take me with her only because I was 'only a child' and 'couldnt make it on my own' when really it was her who couldn't make it on her own. I find everything, I do everything and she just takes everything. I don't mind sharing but she does nothing unless it's for herself. Hell, she made a bit of money.. She sold her body on the streets.

Why was she pointing to a dumpster? Because we're poor and we have to dig in dumpsters to get at least a bit of food or something to wear since it was freaking freezing. "Was that there before?" I asked with a brow raised, walking over to her and snatching the candy from her. "You said you wouldn't eat this! It's mine." A pout was on my lower lip now and all she did was roll her eyes. 

It wasn't fair. Whatever I found, she took but what could I do? She was the only person that I had here. My family kicked me out of the house at fifteen when my father caught me giving a kiss to another guy. Who knew how cruel family could get?

The sad thing is, nobody cared. Nobody came looking for me, there was no amber alerts, nothing. Sure, I was upset about it but now I'm just.. angry. Everything made me angry. Seeing happy families, happy couples.. I don't have that and it isn't fair. 

"So? You need to drop a few pounds anyway." The female scowled and snatched the candy from me, her green eyes glaring into mine. Me? I barely weigh a thing. Now if I gave a shit about my life or how much I weighed, I would've actually cared. But I don't. Instead of saying anything, I pushed her shoulders roughly then turned to walk off. Whatever. She'll find me later.

Turning back once more, I see her just shrugging it off and walking up the street. Of course she didn't care. She had other people to hang out with as well. Well looks like I'm going dumpster diving alone. I started walking across the street while pulling my flashlight out, pointing it at the gates. Locked. Of course, it must be private property like most places.

The gap between the two gates was just big enough for me to slide through so it's exactly what I did. I wedged my way between, pulling my backpack in soon after. It was late, nobody was out and nobody would care. It's trash, no harm done, right? I hope. Heh. 

With a small huff, I dropped my backpack to the ground and opened the dumpster up, grinning when I saw it was filled to the top, some shirts hanging out of bags. I hit the jackpot. Groaning a tad, I managed to pull the top bag down, ripping it in the process. Most of these were girl clothes and some were ripped but I couldn't complain. It's better than nothing, right? Beggars can't be choosers.

A blanket. Just what I needed-

My thoughts were cut off by a cars engine and usually I'd ignore it but it was right next to me and it stopped. Clicking my flashlight off, I mentally cursed because of course, it was a police car. Stay calm, stay calm, stay calm. The car door opened and thats when I started to freak out. I squeaked and climbed into the dumpster, pushing myself between the bags and peeping my eye out from the corner of the trash bags.

"I just saw you, boy-- or girl. Come out." The voice was was deep and stern. It sounded like I was in trouble and at this point, I was shaking. Not once in the year I was out here, I never ever got caught until now. Maybe I can just wait here until he goes away. "Now. I don't wanna force you out of there."

Just come out.. You'll be fine. What's the worst that could happen?

Ha. I sound like I did in middle school when I wanted to come out to my parents. Not the right time to pop jokes, idiot.

Sighing, I slowly climbed out of the dumpster and in front of the gate, my head hanging in shame. "I-I.. Did I do something wrong, officer?" Slowly my eyes looked up but all I saw was a flashlight glare in my face so I couldn't see his but I did hear an intake of a breath.

"You did. You're trespassing. Come out- Take your bag." Frowning at his words, I also nodded and leaned down to grab my bag, as well. "Hurry up, kid." He snapped out and I quickly went to the gate and slid out from between them, wincing when he gripped my arm.

All I wanted was clothes. Something to keep me warm. Apparently that was wrong. These people shouldn't throw out clothes, they should donate them to the poor or something. Greedy. Everyone was and is greedy.

Whimpering, I pulled a bit in his grasp. "All I wanted was some clothes-" I tried to protest but he was already tugging my bag off of my shoulders and putting hand cuffs on me. "Ow! I didn't do anything wrong!" He ignored my protest and pushed me into the back of the car. Before he slammed it shut, I managed to catch the last name on the tag of his shirt.

Officer Styles

-----

Okayyyy I said this was coming soon BUT I was too excited and just had to post it. I had so much muse for writing this and just ajknef. I had this idea last night while out with my friend.

We went dumpster diving HA. Well.. She did. Her family is kind of getting poor so I like to help out the best way I can.