Chapter 1

Special thanks to NikkiViera16 for her character Reagan! Though she's only mentioned in this chapter, she will be showing up more soon!

THIS CHAPTER HAS BEEN REDONE!

________________

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Distance Theory

Chapter 1

....................................................................

The fleeting thought of how someone can be there one day, and gone the next, has never resonated so greatly with me.

When people talk about losing touch with a friend so quickly, you brush it off and assume it could never happen to you; that there's no way you could lose that special someone that you hold onto so dearly. Though in reality, it can happen to just about anyone, at any time. That one person you trust with your life could up and leave you without a second thought.

It was practically inconceivable that my own best friend would walk out on me as if our friendship had meant nothing to him, and yet, he had no problem doing so. But that wasn't even the part that hurt the worst.

The distance was the kind of pain that would leave you longing to no end. It would have you desperately clinging to the notion that one day, that one person would walk back into your life. It would give you hope at the worst times, and leave you feeling helpless at your best. It was torture at it's finest, and my supposed best friend had subjected me to the worst kind.

But still, what hurts the worst is that someone intentionally inflicted this kind of pain on you, knowing just how bad it would hurt for both you and themselves. If only I had known from the start that this is how things would end between us. Though I'm sure it wouldn't have allowed me to miss him any less than I already did.

I could still see those little spikes in his brown hair, or those perfect hazel eyes that I loved so much. I could still see the expression that he got on his face when he figured something out, or the crooked smile that played across his lips when we were joking around. Even his annoying notions of self-riotousness loomed around my head from time to time.

All those things were now subjected to my long term memory, or the photos that had been shoved into the bottom of those boxes I had packed so long ago. I was still reluctant to unpack everything for fear that it would bring something up to the surface that I had been working so hard to push back down. I wasn't ready to feel all of those emotions I had put on hold since I had realized he was gone.