03 | friendship

y o u

       I'VE ALWAYS HAD an interest and a little passion for anything that is herbal, but most especially medicine. It's always a wonderful feeling when I study and learn as much as I can about the plants, its healing factor, and such. I collect whatever books I can find containing things about herbs and read whenever I have the time.

It started when my late father encouraged me to use the small sort of library space in our shrine and recommended me books to read when I couldn't choose from the variety. One of the books was about plants and it piqued my interest quite a lot. From that moment on, I continued to study herbs and plant them in my garden during my spare hours.

Of course, I also continue to learn about herbs because I believe that one's health should always be a priority. And so I want to help others when they are in need of aiding. I wasn't born with the ability to easily heal others, so I decided to develop the skill on my own.

To be honest, since I don't ever catch any illness or any of that sort and the same goes for the people of my shrine, I haven't put my learnings to use too often. I may have, ten times or so when I or anyone else gets caught into a fight or something like that away from the shrine, but that's not really all that much.

Still, that didn't stop me when I offered to look out for Nanami when she was announced sick and unable to attend her school in the morning. I saw a few herbs in their garden that I could work with if I try and make something for her to get better. The only problem is Tomoe.

"I don't trust you," Tomoe repeats to me lowly once we're in private, the room he'd dragged me into is his room—I suppose. His face once again has on a scowl, which appeared as soon as I volunteered to care for Nanami just minutes ago.

I frown and slip my wrist away from his grip that left a burning feeling lingering on my skin for awhile. I briefly glance down at it and reply, "Yes, I know. You said that to me yesterday."

"But it looks like you don't get it," He scoffs, glaring at me. He parts his lips to continue but I don't let him.

"Oh, but I do," I tell him before he got a chance to speak. I cross my arms against my chest, inwardly sighing, "Listen, okay? I get that you don't want to leave Nanami with me because you think that I may inflict harm upon her, and I also understand that you're a worrywart. But what else can you do now?

"You have to pretend to be Nanami in her school for today because of her school works, meaning that you'll have to trust Mizuki to care for her. Does he look like he would know how?" I breathe in and slightly furrow my eyebrows. "She'll be fine. Mizuki can watch over my every movement with wide eyes if that will assure you and your trust issues."

"I don't have trust issu—" Tomoe cuts himself off when I raise a disbelieving eyebrow at him. He huffs and remains to narrow his eyes at my face. "What do you know about cooking human food, then?"

"I've done it once or twice in the past. I consider myself quite decent at it," I answer proudly, smiling a bit.

"Are you really?"

I briefly return his glare at him, wondering what his problem with me is. I grumble, "We don't have all day, fox. It's either you trust me—even for just today—or you don't."