Chapter Seven: Captured

I made my way through the thick pine trees. Every so often giving a swift glance back, making sure that I wasn't being followed by anyone. As I carried on I couldn't help but replay the last two days in my mind, over and over again. I couldn't believe that after all these years of being nothing more than someone who got stepped on, I was finally free!

I quickened my pace as a low howl emanated from the darker depths of the forest. I gave a quiver of excitement as I pondered what the howl could have been from. I wondered if it was some kind of wolf or maybe even an animal that hadn't been ever discovered yet. I had always loved the supernatural, my mother used to read horror books to me.

I felt a jab at my heart when I thought of my mother. I couldn't wait to get back to our hometown. I would make sure that we would escape the bonds of servitude together. A twig snapped not too far off. I gave a small jump, glancing about the forest nervously. I didn't see anything suspicious. I gave a cough, "Relax Azenor, you're imagining things."

Only, I didn't feel too comfortable. There was still an eerie atmosphere about the forest. I hurried along, pushing past heavy branches that tried to tear at my new dress. I felt my feet stumble over a long tree root. I looked around the forest. The trees were so thick that the sunlight was completely blocked out. There was moss and fungi growing everywhere.

I gave a slight shiver as a cool breeze ruffled my dress. The farther that I walked, I became less and less confident that I knew where I was heading. I paused for a moment and looked around. The trees seemed to close in around me. I took a ragged breath, 'Calm down Azenor, it is just your imagination working overtime.' I tried to tell myself that everything was okay.

Just then I heard something that made my blood run cold. It sounded like a low growling. I spun about, looking wildly around. There was nothing to be seen. I gave an uneasy laugh, and sped up. As I hurried along, I began to notice that I could see something moving within the shadows. I felt my mouth go dry, I wanted to scream, yet I couldn't find my voice.

Whatever it was, it followed my every move. I kept an eye on it as I moved swiftly through the thick trees. Whenever I turned, it followed. I began to jog, the figure did the same. I took a breath, and with one last look at my shadower, I ran. Behind me I could hear the crashing of branches as the figure chased after me. "Help me!" The cry came out as nothing more than a whisper.

I raced through the thick flora, not daring to give a glance back at my follower. That was when I saw the sunlight. My eyes widened, I was coming near the end of the woods. I strained at my muscles, my mind pleading for freedom. The figure was getting closer. I could hear the snapping of twigs as they got near. I was panting now, my body aching.

The sunlight was getting closer now. 'Yes, only a little farther,' my mind cried, hopeful that I would make it. Something flew past me, I shrieked in horror when I saw that in the next tree ahead an arrow pierced the bark. My jaw dropped, whoever was behind me was trying to shoot me! Another arrow whizzed through the air, I screamed loudly as it just skimmed my face.

I felt myself stumble, and suddenly I found myself upon the ground. My heart pounded in my ears, as I watched in terror the figure come closer. Blood was now seeping from the cut the arrow had given me. I coughed in disgust, I hated blood. "Well, what do we have here?" A mocking voice asked. The figure was close enough for me to see that it was a man. In his hands he held a crossbow.

His face grew into a smirk when he saw my trembling figure. "Well, lookie here, I have caught myself a South Paw," he came closer to me and bent down to stare into my face. He had dark grey eyes, and a rough face. "This is a good day for me, I never thought that I would find one," he seemed to be talking to himself now. I gulped, "Please...let me go, please." He laughed, "Let you go? My dear, why would I do that?"

He motioned towards the forest, "I have finally found a left hander, and in this forest no less, no way am I letting you go." He pushed himself up to his feet, "Come along now," he said as he began to walk towards the sunlight. I sat there, staring after him. Had he really just walked off from me? 'Well, that was convenient, I will just walk away.' I got up as quietly as I could.

He didn't even give a glance at me. I took a shaky breath, and began to step back. Just as I was about to make a dash for it, he turned and saw what I was trying to do. I froze. He frowned and began to walk back towards me. "What do you think you're doing there?" He asked me, the frown growing wider as he got up to me. Inwardly I gave a chuckle, he was shorter then I was.

"Listen here you, you are now mine! I found you here, so that means I can do whatever I want, so I am ordering for you to follow me!" He growled the command and waved me forward. I didn't budge, there was no way that I was going to go anywhere with him. "No, I will not go anywhere with you." He glared up at me, "How dare you say that," he spat. I narrowed my eyes at him, "I will not go anywhere with you."

He gave an outraged cry, and before I knew it I was on the ground, blood pouring out of my nose. My sight was growing fuzzy, "Darn South Paw, next time you will obey..." His voice was becoming faint, and before I knew it, my world went dark...