Chapter Sixteen - The Goodbye

There's a sneak peek of Book Three's cover on my instagram! Go check it out! It is wattpadupthere

RECAP:

When the Catchers killed both our mothers...

"Wait, what do you mean?" I yelled back as I was pushed inside.

"Go out and win, Taylor! Don't give her anymore satisfaction!"

And those were his last words as the door was bolted shut. I ran to my seat next to Cole, peeking out the window at the man who just told me something so confusing that I didn't know what to make of it. He caught my eye from below as the plane started up, giving me a final salute as we headed away from everything we had grown accustomed to.

_____________________

The plan was set during the dreamlike plane ride.

            We, and by we, I mean everyone but me, decided that we would be traveling underwater to get to Katherine. Luckily, we are able to use a boat to at least go half of the distance until it's deemed unsafe and risky to be seen and we would be forced to walk again. Using Alex, Will, and Leona's powers, we would be traveling under the waves.

            I could barely pay attention to the conversation because my mind was so wrapped around what Jack said to me. What did he mean by both of our mothers being killed by Catchers? I remembered the car crash. I'm sure I would've noticed something with black eyes and magical powers attacking us rather than a silver truck.

            "Shorty?" I looked up to see a concerned Cole. "Are you okay?"

            I didn't tell him about Jack's goodbye. So many things have happened in the past few hours that he didn't need to be worried about my problems. We had a greater issue at hand and that was defeating Katherine.

            I gave him a fake smile. "I'm as okay as I'll ever be during something like this."

            He put his arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him. In a moment like this, I appreciated his touch and comfort. He was probably the only person capable of calming me down in some sense during a situation like this. "Everything will be okay. In a few days we'll be heroes, walking away with a huge victory. You'll see."

            I didn't really have any choice but to hope he was right. I know we would try everything in our power to win, but what if that wasn't enough? I might not have signed up for this kind of life but I didn't think I deserved a death sentence.

            The plane ride was mostly quiet. In front of us was a sleeping Mackenzie, looking so peaceful amidst her dreams. According to Sophia, we would be stopping at a hotel upon landing so we all have a chance to get some sleep in before we travel. Unlike the others, Alex, Cole, and I still hadn't slept for the night because we chose to go party.

            When we finally landed, the hurried nature of the night continued. After walking off the plane, we found ourselves in a very private airport. In fact, it was so secluded that the car Jack had promised was waiting right on the runway, a man guarding its outside. Sophia ushered us out, Alex even carrying Mackenzie to avoiding waking her, and to our vehicle.

            "For you, Miss Humphrey," the man said, holding the keys out for Sophia. "Reservations are made at the hotel nearest to the golf course."

            She didn't say anything as she grabbed them from the man and piled us in before heading to the front seat. Because we had so many people, we each were squished, holding our small bags on our laps to avoid hitting someone else.