Chapter 38- The Last Train Ride

The party in the Great Hall was bigger and better than any of the seventh years had expected it to be. There had been a vote held on whether or not they were going to let the other grades participate in the party, and in the end, the answer had been yes.

"This isn't just a graduation party," Hermione said. "It is also the celebration of our first year without the fear of the Dark Lord resting above our heads- we celebrate together."

And so it was decided- all grades would participate at the seventh year graduation. The Great Hall was being prepared by the teachers as the students readied themselves for the party, bustling around with excitement.

"What sort of thing do you wear to a graduation party?" Ron had asked, holding up a casual shirt and a fancy one, of which was white, with a black cloak to match. "I mean- casual or classy?"

As if in answer, and owl swept into the boys dormitory window, and all five of the boys turned the heads to see who it was for.

"Probably Harry's- he always gets letters." Seamus says.

Dean frowns. "It looks like Neville's- it's sitting on his bed."

Harry walks over and plucks the note from the owl's grasp, and he holds out a finger. The owl flies towards him and perches on his finger as he carries it over to Hedwig's empty cage. He sets it down inside and pours in some of Pig's bird foot and a bit of water, and the owl starts to take it all in happily, hooting with joy.

Harry looks at the name on the envelope. "To all seventh year boys attending the graduation party. You will wear casual clothes. You may dress fancy if you so wish, as long as you don't look like a rich snob, or a trash can that has been run over by a garbage truck. Happy Graduation! Professor M. McGonagall."

"Darn." Dean pipes up. "I guess Seamus won't be able to attend at all."

Seamus frowns. "Why not?"

"Because," Dean says, taking the letter from Harry and pointing at it the second to last sentence. "It specifically says that you can not come looking like a trash can that has been run over by a garbage truck. And, I mean, unless we find a lot of makeup, we can't stop your face from looking like that."

Seamus punches Dean's shoulder as Neville says, "I think Ginny has some you can use, Seamus!"

Harry laughs, turning away from the boys to his trunk, pulling out a pair of khakis and a black shirt that he had purchased from a muggle store for himself.

When the war had ended, Harry had taken a day to go out and buy himself some clothes that weren't the baggy hand-me-downs from Dudley that he had been wearing for eighteen years. He had gotten a letter of money from Aunt Petunia and Dudley containing some money for him to go shopping- and it had been made clear that Vernon never wanted to see 'the boy' again, but Aunt Petunia and Dudley had said that maybe they could try to start over in the future. Dudley had even given Harry his phone number.

So Harry had taken a trip down to a muggle clothing store not far from Privet Drive, called Arnie's, and he had bought himself an entire new wardrobe, and he also bought wizarding clothes with his own money.

Ron glanced over at his outfit. "Khakis?"

"Mmhmm." Harry says. "A casual yet more presentable pants choice."

Ron tilts his chin up. "Yeah?"

"Yup."

"Do you think Luna likes men in khakis?" He asks, pulling a pair from his trunk.

Harry shrugs. "Probably. Too bad you aren't a man."

"Shut up, Harry." Ron says, hitting Harry over the head with his pillow.