Chapter 2

Ilwyn is a decently sized town located between several popular stops including the central Kingdom of Romina and the coastal cities, as well as many of the shrines to the gods. Because of its location it's been made a popular rest stop for anyone making long journeys across the country. It's since been known as a 'Transport Town', which is what busy areas are called that aren't quite cities but still aren't small villages. There are three inns, two taverns, plenty of clothing and food stores, a rather large general store, and even a park. There's a large station set up for people coming in and out of the town on carriages so that the driver and passenger may rest up. There's a stable attached for whatever beast may be pulling the vehicles as well, and each inn stays open so anyone who comes in late at night has a place to stay.

As the sun rose in the town, so did the citizens. Dew shimmered in the morning light on each blade of grass; birds began to sing their morning melodies, and each person that rose early began their daily work, including those at the Anders household.

The father, Julian , was a blacksmith and the mother, Melody, ran an inn. Their daughter Nami would help the mother in the kitchen every day or work the inn at night when the mother needed rest; Although she would rather help her father. Since she didn't have any powers of her own her father would make weapons for her and teach her how to use them in case she ever needed to.

The day was getting started and there was one person in the house who wasn't stirring. Raiden was asleep still in his room, the light that streamed in was barely missing his face so he didn't notice it was morning. There was a loud banging at his door that roused him from his slumber. Groggily he sat himself up on his arms trying to wake up.

The knock came again and this time Raiden responded with a sour "I'm up!" before rising out of bed and moving around his room to gather his things. He had just finished getting ready when he glanced into the mirror as he pulled on his gloves. Blonde hair that spiked naturally sat atop his head, and brown eyes stared back at him with dark bags under them.

Again the knock came and this time was accompanied with a voice.

"I'm just trying to keep you from being late for work, sleepy head!"

Raiden opened his door and came face to face with his cousin who had been up for  a few hours, most likely working the inn all night. Her long reddish-brown hair was tied back into twin braids with stray strands that hung out and a set of bangs that swooped to the left side of her face. There wasn't much height difference between the two despite their three year age gap so her blue eyes met his with ease.

"Well then thanks...I was having an interesting dream." Raiden stated as the two made their way downstairs.

"Were your parents still alive...like in the other dreams?"

"No I was swimming in a large bowl of ice cream, and there was a wolf there but...It wasn't like a normal wolf exactly it was a bluish grey and it's fur was standing on end surrounded by electricity and it just sort of stared at me."

Nami paused, thinking over his dream for a moment. "Well I guess the meaning of your dream could be...that you're crazy."

Raiden laughed and took one of his gloves off, little wisps of electrical energy surrounding his hand as he grabbed onto Nami and rubbed his palm around on her head, causing her hair to trap the static and stand on end, all out of place.

"You jerk! I have to re-do my hair now!" She exclaimed, punching him in the shoulder.

"Look who's finally awake! Good morning Raiden." The cheerful voice of his aunt rang out through the kitchen where the stairs let out. Pastries were already cooking over open fires which she had set herself. Coffee pots boiled and eggs and bacon sizzled on pans. The kitchen was overloaded with so many smells it was hard to separate them.

There was one other person in the kitchen area, and that was their family friend Josen who was busy kneading dough for bread. He was a larger man, around his mid thirties. His face was neatly trimmed and his hair was held back with some sort of headband no doubt lent to him by one of his daughters. He had four little girls ranging from three to ten so he had plenty of accessories to choose from when it came to keeping his hair out of the food.

"Raiden has never been an early riser. I envy ya, kid. The way you sleep."

"Sleep is an escape I guess." Raiden admitted. It was true, after all. When he was asleep nothing could bother him. He could do anything in his dreams and he loved the feeling of freedom it gave him.

"I better get going then or Mr. Riley'll have my head if I don't get a head start on my deliveries." Raiden said with a smile before waving goodbye to those in the kitchen and stepping out into the shop area. There were a few people sitting at the tables that peppered the dining room waiting for their breakfasts. It was apparent now that it wasn't that early in the morning, it was probably closer to seven than anything, which is actually rather late. He opened the door and nearly ran into two customers trying to enter the building.

"O-Oh! So sorry!" He stammered, holding the door open for the pair to enter, a man and a woman who Raiden didn't really notice much about, other than their genders.

Raiden stepped outside and was greeted by the cold morning air and pulled his coat closer, shivering as he made his way to his job. The sun was rising slowly in the sky but the air was still crisp from the previous night, not yet warmed by the daylight.

 So many passed through that he never really payed much attention to the people he walked by on the streets. Since it was still early there weren't too many people around and most shops were still closed. He'd lived here since he was ten after his parents had passed away in a storm. Now he lived with his Father's brother and his wife who took him in as their own, even though he was different now. Raiden always suspected that they thought it would make Nami feel better, to know that she wasn't the only one who was different. 

It only took about ten minutes for Raiden to walk from his home to the Postal Office where he worked as a delivery boy. The store front was rather welcoming, made entirely out of brick like most of the other buildings in the area. A metal sign hung on a rod that protruded out of the side of the building, swinging in the wind the sign was three envelopes in a circle that were on their own system so that they slowly spun around.

Raiden pushed open the large green door and a little bell that was attached to the door frame jingled slightly as he walked inside.

"Raiden! Good to see you my boy!" Raiden was greeted by the cheerful voice of his employer, Edwin Riley, a tall and lanky individual with long graying hair on his head and a pleasant demeanor. Envelopes and packages flew around the room, stuck in a silent dance with the man in the middle, pleased with himself as he sorted through the mail. Mr. Riley was a wind mage who used his powers for a rather unorthodox business.

"Any news sir?" Raiden asked as he grabbed a messenger bag hanging on a hook in the back room.

"The Kaijin Empire is starting to make advances in the Eastern regions. Those poor Dwarves...they can hold their own sure but those Kaijin are powerful."

"You don't think they'll try and conquer Romina, do you?"

"I hate to say it but they might try to. There have been murmurs around that they've been taking control of small areas in our country but the kingdoms have done nothing to stop it..."

"Do you think they're planning a full on attack against us?"

"I sure hope not. But all I can say is we've gotten too used to peace." Mr. Riley paused, the Kaijin have never attacked Romina, but they might try at some point.

After their exchanges Raiden had finished gathering together the mail he needed to deliver for the day. Most packages and envelopes the citizens would come in to pick up themselves but there were a few urgent items that needed to be delivered directly. Despite the size of the town, Raiden knew most everyone that lived there and enjoyed making his deliveries. He stepped through the doorway on his way out and was greeted by the warm sun that rose steadily in the sky which seemed to chase away the lingering cold from the night before.