Prologue

Word Count: 862

"Goodbye Mother, Goodbye Father!" Florence shouted down the platform as she stepped onto the Hogwarts Express. It was definitely a long train, to say the least. All of the older kids were very tall so Florence felt somewhat small. As she passed each compartment she kept feeling out of place, everyone knew somebody on the train but her and everybody was in their own clothes and she decided to dress in her school uniform straight away, hiding it with a long black cloak on the way through the muggle train station. At last she found an empty compartment after ten minutes of wandering down the long corridor. Florence put her luggage on the rails above the seats and sat down. She decided to read; Cinderella. Her mother was a muggle and always read her the classic tales of the princess and the prince. She brought most of them with her as a sense of home. If you're wondering her father was a wizard, so she's half-blood.

"Excuse me, mind if we sit." A young boy with shaggy black hair asked. He was tall and average weight. He was wearing his own clothes quite ruggedly.

"Not at all." She said. He walked through the door with another boy, black haired and glasses put upon his nose.

"I'm James, by the way James Potter." The second boy said. He was also tall but slim and wore his school uniform but it was quite messy; his shirt untucked and his tie dangling loosely from his neck.

"Florence Pritchard." She said holding her hand out for him to shake, which he did.

"I'm Sirius Black." Black, the name made her shudder. Her father knew Sirius' mother, Walburga. He told Florence the whole family was insane. He also told her not to talk to any of the Black family, but Florence thought Sirius was nice, on first impression, so went against her Father's wishes.

"It's a pleasure to meet the both of you." Florence said, smiling at the two boys sitting in front of her.

"The pleasure's all ours." Sirius said. Florence started back with her reading. She's at the part where Cinderella goes to the ball and dances with the handsome prince. "Florence," Sirius says, disrupting her for a second time. She look up at him and James. "What's that you're reading?"

"It's Cinderella." Florence answered, straightforwardly.

"Who's Cinderella?" James asks.

"Oh. Cinderella is the daughter of a rich man whose wife dies. He re-marries to an awful woman with two horrible daughters. Cinderella's father dies and then her stepmother and stepsisters treat her like dirt. It's horrible. A few years later she sneaks out to the ball with the help of her fairy godmother and meets a prince and they fall in love and get married. It's quite a happy story in the end." Florence explained. Both boys look at her as if she'd gone insane.

"I've never read it." James says.

"It's muggle fiction. My mother used to read them as a child. I'm half-blood, you see. I've read a lot of these types of stories. I have some in my luggage. I can show you some if you want." The boys nodded their heads vigorously. She stood up, carefully placing her book to the side and start to lift her luggage off the shelf.

"Excuse me. Do you mind if I sit with you. There's no seats anywhere else." A squeaky voice from behind her said. Florence stopped what she was doing and sat back down, eying the boy. He was shorter than James and Sirius but slim. He had light brown hair and beautiful green eyes.

"Of course." Florence said, before James and Sirius could interject.

"Thank you. I'm Remus Lupin." The boy says.

"Florence Pritchard." She said and shook the boy's hand. "These two are James Potter and Sirius Black." The two boys just waved and stayed completely silent. They all sat there in silence for a while until Florence decided to speak up. "I'm going to get some sweets anyone want any?" They all shook their heads. Florence mumbled a 'right then' and walked out. She saw the trolley up ahead but before the trolley there sat a small plump boy reading a textbook. "Hello. Are you okay? You seem rather lonely."

"I'm okay. Why are you talking to me?" He asked. He sounded very sad.

"Because, you look like you need a friend. I was going to get some sweets, want to join me?" Florence asked him politely.

"I don't have very much money." He said looking down at the floor.

"It's alright, I'll pay. Then you can come back to the compartment with me." Florence stated, not taking no for an answer.

"Okay, thank you. I'm Peter Pettigrew."

"Florence Pritchard." Florence said. The two went to get sweets and then Florence introduced Peter to the other three and they all got on like a house on fire. The five were already great friends and they'd only known each other for a few hours. "This year is going to be great." Florence whispered to herself while the five were laughing their heads off at a joke Sirius had told.