I felt my mouth go dry and my head perspire from the dangerous act I was about to do. Obviously the train wasn't going to stop and wait for me. The only question was, could I do it without falling to my death?

Erasing my wild thoughts, I pulled myself back-just enough for me to have room to run-and threw myself towards the train just in time to get in the last car.

There was a transfer who didn't make it.

She was Erudite. Before the train arrived, she looked to be calculating and computing something. When the train did round up the corner, she didn't do anything, and only gazed at us as she decided not to ride the train.

She's factionless now.

I was sat at the furthest corner of the last car, far away from the others. Some of my peers were blank-minded like me, too astounded to speak, whilst some were like the Candor boy who jumped second, smirking and praising themselves.

"That was so lame," A Candor girl snickered, "I swear, this initiation is going to be a breeze."

"Shut your big mouth, Candor." A Dauntless-born snapped, "We're jumping, ready yourselves."

At what he said, all the attention was directed to the view outside. I saw countless of rooftops zooming by, brick-walled and damaged, but sturdy enough to stand on... At least that's what I thought when I saw a figure up ahead, standing on the ledge of a building.

Without waiting for the others, the Dauntless-born that snapped at the Candor transfer jumped and rolled towards the roof where the figure was standing.

I clenched my fists upon seeing his daring move. It was a hundred feet fall if you failed to land on the roof, and the train was not stopping. Your body would be a mangled mess by the time you hit the ground.

Biting my lip, I positioned myself on the train's furthest corner and ran with all my might towards its entrance.

I felt like I was going to die.

Everything seemed to be in slow motion, I felt my heart beating loudly and my blood rushing into my ears. I could see everything from where I am now, high up the air that I passed the train's roof.

My thoughts of dying were short-lived, thankfully, but my landing was not at all graceful. Stones grazed my hands and sides as I fell onto the rooftop. Some scratched at my legs, pushing deep into my skin until it left marks. I rolled over, feeling an excruciating pain.

I was the first transfer to jump out of the train.

I struggled to get up, feeling not quite okay, and just laid immobilised for a few seconds. The train's other passengers soon caught up with me, jumping down onto the roof. Some were lucky, having to find their balance before they fell, but some were unfortunate like me, tripping on their feet and meeting the ground face first.

With wobbly feet, I did my best to stand next to the others.

"I'm Max, one of the leaders here in Dauntless," I snapped my eyes up to a dark-skinned man standing on the roof's ledge, "Behind me is the entrance to the Dauntless compound."

Max gave as all scrutinising gazes, assessing our clothes to determine which faction we came from. When he finished glaring at us, he spoke again. "If you don't have the courage to jump, then you don't belong here."

"Jump?" An Amity called, "You want us to throw ourselves off a building?"

Max smiled, finding our fear and hesitation enjoyable. "Well, you did just jump off a moving train, did you not?" He paused to give the Amity transfer an evil smirk, "You'll just have to jump off again, but this time it'll be from this ledge. Easy peezy."

"Is there water below or something?" An Erudite asked, fiddling with his strikingly blue suit.

"Maybe," I could feel myself tremble at how insincere Max sounded, "Maybe not."

After how many seconds of silence, Max uttered loudly, "Someone's got to jump. Who's it going to be?"

My insides rattled like they were on fire. My nerves didn't ease one bit, it can't with Max walking back and forth the ledge like it was a vast meadow, like he didn't have a chance of falling to his death.

"I will."

I looked in front of me, watching in shock as Beatrice Prior moved towards the ledge.

She transferred? But why? She had everything back in Abnegation, why would she want to leave?

When she stood at the ledge, I felt my heart rate climb up. Beatrice, with her back towards us, bent her knees, then jumped into oblivion.