XL - Unconventional

Start from the beginning

She was leaning against the class, on the opposite side from her bed. It seemed like she was staring at it. Her back was facing him.

"Seline," he called out, but she either didn't hear him, or didn't want to respond. He was betting on the latter.

He was almost convinced that she was going to stay completely silenced, but then she finally spoke, her voice almost hoarse from being unused. Perhaps it was also because she had been crying.

"They want me to join SHIELD," she said. "Maybe even as an Avenger."

He walked around the glass so that he could at least get a good look at her face. "Can you not just simply refuse?"

"That's the problem," she said, her voice now cracking. She was frustrated, and she was almost crying because of it. "I don't want to."

"You wish to become an Avenger?"

"I wish to help people," she said, and as he moved so that he could see her well, he saw that there were streaks of tears down her cheeks. She was no longer crying, but she certainly had been. "Just for once, I want to help someone!"

"You have," he said, his brow furrowed. "You have helped people. You know that."

"I have killed far more than I've helped," she argued, her voice suddenly rising as she went to her feet. She was angry now.

"Seline, I-"

"Everyone that I have ever loved has died, Loki! Anyone that I have ever gotten close to! Amond, Kayla, Megan, all of them! Anyone that I get close to will end up killed," her voice cooled a little.

"That isn't-"

"The Avengers, as well as you, will all fall in the same way. I promise you that. It will be my fault. Get out while you still have the chance."

He was stunned for a moment, but then he gritted his teeth. "You were going to run, weren't you? That was what Jacob said. Are you really that selfish, Seline?!" He hit his hand against the glass, but she wasn't startled. "You were about to leave Jordan behind because you were afraid of hurting him, but you couldn't see that the only way you could ever hurt him as by leaving!"

She was surprised, but then a look of anger crossed her face and she turned away from him.

He suddenly appeared in front of her, his expression matching her own.

"Don't turn your back on me!" he shouted, his hands going to her shoulders to make sure she didn't move.

She hit his hands off of her, then shoved him backwards.

"Why?! Are you really that prideful that you can't stand to have someone disagree with you?! That you can't stand the fact that someone would rather just forget and leave everything behind than stay by your side?! Than stay by the side of people who will only leave one way or another in the end?!"

It wasn't until then that Loki realized he hadn't been talking about Seline hurting Jordan. He had been talking about Seline hurting him. But even so, his anger refused to die down.

"Why did you leave Asgard?!" he shouted, unaware that at this point, half of the helicarrier knew that they were screaming at each other.

That caught her by surprise, and her eyes widened a little.

"Why did you leave me?" his voice calmed ever so slightly, and it almost sounded broken. She could hear the pain in it.

"Because I would have hurt you," she said, swallowing. "Don't you get it? I still could. I'm a danger to society, Loki! I'm the thing that parents tell their children stories about to keep them from going out late in the night! I'm the one that people have nightmares of!"

He didn't quite know what to say.

"You should be terrified of me!" The frustration suddenly returned. "Why aren't you?!"

He couldn't find the correct words at first, but after a moment of silence, he finally knew.

"Seline, despite what you may say, I know that you would never harm me or anyone else that you care for. Because of that, you do not frighten me, and you never will."

She stared up at him, her expression nearly unreadable. She was no longer angry, but now she seemed confused. Perhaps even unsure. But he could see the fire flaring in her eyes, a fire of determination. She was pushing through, he could see that. She wasn't willing to give up, not now. Perhaps he had helped her. Perhaps, this time, she would stay. She would allow herself to be happy.

To him, she was the good that fought the evil. But to her, she was the evil.

Maybe he along with Jordan, Jacob, and the other Avengers... Maybe they could help her think differently.