Seventeen

I am tired, so tired. But all I ever do anymore is sleep because the walls are screaming at me. I fidget around in my unmade bed before my eyes reach the clock next to my bed, 4:06pm. the faint ringtone of my phone echoes through out my small room, I rush to grab the device before pulling it up to my ear.

"Hello" I say quiet monotone down into the phone

"Hey ruby" Josh's voice bounces back into the phone, bringing a smile to my face.

"Joshua!" I say quiet excitedly.

"Ruby!" He mocks my tone as a laugh rolls off my lips. My mood instantly increasing as Josh's voice fills my ears.

"How are you guys?" I ask.

"We're great, ruby I wish you were here. It's so amazing." He gushes and I can't help but feel left out as my stomach twists. "Oh hey Tyler, wanna talk to ruby?" I hear him say faintly, I patiently waited for his reply.

"Hey pia!" Tyler's voice shoots down the phone.

"Hey ty." I whisper as a smile surfaces onto my face.

"We miss you!" He says as I hear josh shuffle behind the phone.

"I miss you too, I'm feeling very lonely lately. Especially today." I mumble the last part as I roll over in my unkept bed.

"We'll be home before you know it, I promise. Now we have to get going. I miss you pia and I hope you're doing fine." He says as his voice turns sincere and I ache for his presence.

"Bye Ruby!" Josh says faintly.

"Bye boys, be good and have a great show." I say as I hang up the phone with a heavy sigh. I run my hands through my hair as I gather up what's left of me.

I pull myself from the floor as I make my way across my carpet to my messy desk. My eyes skim over the many layers of paper spread across the wooden surface. A piece of paper caught my eye as I reach for it. The slightly crumpled paper had messy handwriting spread across it, I realized it wasn't mine.

Ruby,
As I sit and write this I can see your house from my bedroom window, I know you're sleeping seeing as it's a quarter past three. You'll probably find this when I'm on tour and I just want to let you know I'm thinking of you. You're my best friend- well besides josh, but you mean a lot to me and I'm glad you're in my life. And You know, you talked way too much when I first met you. You annoyed me to no end. I wanted barely anything to do with you, But, as I came to learn, you were different. You were nice to me. And it scared the living crap out of me. I had my head in the clouds and it was you, with both feet firmly on the ground, who gently led me back down. You picked me up when I was at my lowest. Built me back when I was broken. Talked me down when I was on the brink of ripping my own chest open. You knew me when I didn't want to know the sound of my own thoughts. It was all you, all the time. You are my best friend. And I thank you.
-Tyler

My eyes raid the page as the words sink in. My mouth hangs agape at the sincere letter written by Tyler. Attached at the bottom of the page is a picture of Tyler and I when we First met, my eyes trace over his face and the smile laced across both of our faces. I smile widely at the memories and at the boy whose miles away.