Opening my office the first thing I did was open all the blinds (again) on the window to the inner office and the outdoor window letting in all the natural light. I felt light as a feather. I never really closed the office blinds window in the first place.

Turning on my computer I leaned over my desk pulling out my work and going over what I needed to get done for the day on my Cooper and Terry accounts. The volunteers wouldn’t be here until ten am, it is only nine right now.

I settled into my routine checking the inter-office correspondence when a knock on my door pulled me out of my reverie.

“Come in,” I called not looking up from my work.

“Good morning.”

My jaw went rigid and I could hear myself grinding my teeth. We were going to do this now? The memory of a drunken Eddie danced in my mind as I looked up.

“Good morning Eddie. What can I do for you?” I said as generic as possible. There would be no more friendly, joking associations for a while if ever again, all business. He shut the door and sat down.

His appearance is flawless as usual. The slick back hair and pressed tailored suit. The smile he wore did not reach his eyes though. Eddie actually seemed nervous for once.

“Sonja, I don’t remember much of the party after we danced…most of it is a blur…”

“I bet you had quite a lot to drink,” I snapped stoically continuing with my work.

He nodded. “I know I hurt you and I want to tell you how terribly sorry I am.”

I looked him in the eye. His expression is almost pleading. Pathetic. I sighed knowing that he did mean the apology.

“I understand and accept your apology but it will take time for our friendship to be repaired.”

“I know I shouldn’t have tried to force you to kiss me.”

Force? More like attacked me like a drunken bear.

“I thought you didn’t remember?”

“Like I said it’s a blur, most of it.”

My lip twitched wanting to smile, but I refused to let him feel comfortable.

He continued before I could say more. “I like you Sonja…a lot. I meant it when I asked you out. I just hope you can trust me again someday. That new client of yours, the way he looks at you just made me realize time is running out…”

My heart flutters at the mention of that.

“Eddie we are not going to ever be dating not anytime soon even before you attacked me,” I said firmly and angrily, he winced at my choice of words. Good. I hope that sinks in.

“Let’s just move past this and salvage what’s left of this friendship.”

“Of course,” he reached out to take my hand and I flinched yanking it away. He frowned, but nodded in understanding.

“Let’s just stick to work for now.”

“Your right,” he fidgets and clears his throat standing up. “So how are the Cooper and Terry accounts looking?” He asks switching to boss/work mode. That’s much better. I didn’t know how much more of his awkward declaration I could stand.

“Let’s see,” I booted up my design program and typed in the file name to pull it up…

“Wait a second,” I mumbled. Every time I typed it in a ‘0’ popped up in the search. I typed in Terry’s account name and also got a ‘0’. “Oh my god,” I breathed. Eddie looked up from what he was looking at in my physical file I had out on my desk.