59. Happy Birthday!

Start from the beginning

Frisk felt their heart begin to race in their chest. What could Chara possibly want them for again? Noticing Frisk's silence, Chara continued to speak. "As you know, today is (Y/N)'s birthday. And I've need of your assistance to get everything ready for (his/her) party.", they explained. Frisk began to calm down as soon as they heard this was for (Y/N), so they stood up firmly. "So, are you in?", Chara asked quickly. "Of course I am!", Frisk cheered, trying to become less tense. 

-

You stood at your front porch and turned on your phone, looking at the time. 3:04 PM. You were just 4 minutes late, nothing too important. You unlocked the door and walked inside your household. Immediately, you recognized your guardians and all of your friends huddled into a group. "Surprise!!", everyone shouted. Most of your gut expected this, but you were surprised to notice yourself flinching at the sudden noise. "Happy Birthday (Y/N)!" everyone added in sync, then beginning to clap while cheering. 

You began to relax as you smiled cheerfully, walking forward towards everyone. You proceeded to hug everyone, thanking each of them for attending the party. You were surprised at how many of your friends were monsters, and how your guardians didn't seem to mind that at all. You would see them both constantly talking to Toriel, and from the looks of it they all got along pretty well. Overall, as the party continued, everybody was having fun.

Most of the time you were simply talking with your friends, even introducing some to each other. Chara was socializing with everyone too, but would hide when coming across several monsters including Toriel and Asgore. You honestly didn't mind, just so long as Chara was here with you. 

-

After all presents were opened, all cakes devoured, and all speeches said, the party began to end as guests left. You told each of them goodbye and thanked them once again for coming over. By the time everyone left, it was 7 PM, and your guardians left the house to you as they went to run a few quick errands. You finished tidying up your home after a few minutes, obviously with the help of Chara. Rather than plopping onto the couch, you stumbled yourself into your room towards your bed. Your body was exhausted, and you longed for a needed rest.

Lying across your mattress, you felt yourself immediately beginning to relax. Heartbeats later you heard Chara approach your open room door and walk in. You were used to this, so you didn't mind. You then noticed them sit at the end of your bed, speaking afterwards. "So did you have fun?", they asked quietly. You nodded in response, not feeling the need to use words. A few moments of silence passed before your (boy/girl)friend broke it. "Well, I wanted to say... I'm glad you ever accepted me in the first place.", they spoke almost shyly, which surprised you. 

You opened your eyes and looked over at them, as in waiting for them to continue. But they were silent, so you spoke first. "What do ya mean by that?", you asked. "You're such a good person (Y/N). I never really thought I'd ever  find a human like you. Hell, more like you found me...", they cut off as if their mind was lost in their own thoughts. "I guess this is what Frisk was trying to show me, so I suppose I owe them a thanks aswell. But after everything that's happened and everything I've done, I never thought I'd be forgiven. Or even wanted.", they continued as they snapped back to reality.

Chara's last phrase made you sit up and face them, causing them to slightly flinch in surprise. "Chara... listen to me.", you started. "I know this has been hard for you, and it's something entirely new but look how far you've gotten!" "Thanks to you! If you hadn't searched for me, I...", Chara trailed off as if not knowing what to say. You both knew that they would've faded away if you determination hadn't saved them, and bringing that into words wasn't easy for either of you.

You noticed their red eyes seemingly filled with sorrow, which got you worried. This was the result of their past. This was the side of them that none listened to. You've never seen Chara like this before, but you knew you had to try your best to comfort them. At the same time, being honest. You held their hands in yours, already feeling your heart racing in your chest. 

"You saw how many gifts I've gotten today for my birthday. I got a lot of things I've wanted, but those could never compare to you.", you paused as they looked at you. "Meeting you was the greatest gift I've ever received, and I can't ever regret it. No matter what others have said about you or the things you've done, I'll always be happy to have you here with me.", you went silent for a few heartbeats before continuing. "Just because your birth parents didn't appreciate you doesn't mean I don't either. I'm... I'm glad you were born and did the things you did. If you hadn't, you wouldn't be who you are now. And well, that's what makes me love you.", you partly choked, a sympathetic smile set across your face.

Without warning, Chara pulled you into a kiss. It only lasted for a few moments before they hugged you afterwards. You wrapped your arms around them and stroked their back. 

"I-I... love you too.", they whispered.

-

A/N: Hhhh sorry if this chapter seems so cut up. I wrote the first half yesterday so it was partly rushed. Also, you'd think the birthday would be for Chara, but alas, I haven't considered it. (Also added a few feels about Chara's past (in this story) because Undertale itself is about feels, so why not?) Anyways, happy b-day to Undertale!! Huge thanks to Toby Fox for creating this wonderfully scripted game~!

-