Maybe Next Time (steve rogers x reader)

A/N: idk HOW many times I tried making this post. urrrg. but anyways, this isn't the greatest but I feel bad for not posting something last weekend. so here's something. Enjoy. :D

warnings: slight swearing, talking of emotions (?)

There was the sauce boiling, and the sounds of potatoes being peeled

"So you're making dinner tonight?" Sam asked, walking over to the sink to wash his hands.
"Yeah, I guess. I mean, I don't mind doing it. I like cooking. Especially baking." Y/N said, putting a peeled potato in a huge pot filled with water next to the stove.

"Ohho, yeah," he said, patting his stomach, "I gained too much weight over the holidays from your cookies alone." She chuckled. "Now, what should I do, chef?"
"Uh, you can help me peel the potatoes." Sam nodded, grabbing another potato peeler from a drawer.
"So, how are you?" She glanced at him, confused. "What? C'mon girl, I have nothing to work off of. Besides about missions, we don't really talk about anything else."
"Yeah, I guess you're right." she sighed. "I don't know exactly how I'm feeling."
"I feel the same. I catch myself waiting for the other shoe to drop."
She bit her lip, nodding.
"Exactly! This normality and domestication is kinda weird. I'm used to the hustle and bustle. Even the occasional missions don't help out with these feelings."
"Unfortunately, it'll feel like that for a long time, maybe even forever. But you have to realize what you have in life, and being grateful for them. Because you never know what's around the corner, and that could be another dramatic change in your life." Sam said, putting the remaining peeled potatoes in the pot. "And do you want this on the stove?"
"Huh?" she spun around to face him. "Oh, yeah those go in the pot. Thanks. And thanks for the advice. I also kinda want to talk to you about something else." About Steve. And Bucky. And about how I'm indecisive and selfish.
"Okay, but what else do we need to do?" Sam said, pointing to the two pots on the stove.
"Uh, we need to wait for those to boil and make a salad."
"Okay. Is it the usual greens, tomatoes and fixins?" She nodded, grabbing the items from the fridge. "I'll cut the tomatoes and you the lettuce?" Y/N nodded, grabbing the head of lettuce from the counter.
They set to work, cutting up all the vegetables, nuts, and dried cranberries.
"How about you Sam? How are you?" she asked after a moment of silence.
"Good. Steve's been kicking my ass when we run in the morning, but that's just become normal." he grumbled, placing the tomatoes and chopped cranberries in the salad bowl. She chuckled, adding her lettuce in the bowl as well.
"Well, it is Steve."
"Pfft. Yeah, Steve. Fuck him." Sam harrumphed. He moved over to face her in front of the counter. "So what was it that you wanted to tell me?" Sam said, his eyes filling with concern.
"Oh, it's nothing." Y/N said, her voice somewhat shaky, as she tried too seem nonchalant. Sam raised his eyebrows, but he didn't ask any further.
~
"Diiinner's ready!" Y/N screeched, setting down the bowls of mashed potatoes and salad. Sam laughed, as he from behind her and set down the pot of meatballs. "What? I always wanted to do that." she said, turning to face him.
"Oh, I believe you." Sam quipped. Y/N rolled her eyes, as everyone else walked to the table.
"Man Y/N, this looks great." Tony said, helping Pepper to a seat.
"I'm starved." Bucky said, sitting down. Y/N smiled, sitting down at the table herself. Tony sat to her right at the head of the table, and Pepper was sitting next to him, across from Y/N.
They all dug in, giving themselves massive helping of mashed potatoes, salad, and meatballs. Though pretty soon, all the food vanished into everyone's mouths.

"I'll help out with the cleaning." Bucky said. Y/N shook her head.
"No Buck." she looked over to everyone else walking to the 'movie theatre room,' as Tony called it. " I got it. You go ahead and watch the movie. I don't mind."
"Okay, but don't have too much fun washing those dishes." he said with a wink. She laughed, picking up and stacking the plates from the table.
"That Barnes, I swear." she mumbled. Sam had given her a look earlier, asking if she needed help but she non verbally denied any of his help. Or anyone else's, as a matter of fact. She was waiting for Steve. Oh, and Nat.
~
"Wow, Y/N you're still up?" Steve said, walking into the kitchen. She jumped a little, and looked up at him.
"Oh, hey Steve, glad you're back. And yeah, I guess I am." she said, stifling a yawn. She glanced at the clock on the oven. 12:28 AM. "Where's Nat? I'm guessing you guys are starved."
"Yeah, I am," he nodded sheepishly, "but Nat was too exhausted and she said it was too late to eat."
"I saved a piece for you." Y/N said, unwrapping the cling film over the plate and put it in the microwave, heating it up.
"Just a piece?" Steve joked. She chuckled, closing her eyes for a second because of fatigue.
"Yeah Steve, just one bite." she said, making a one-inch gap with her thumb and pointer finger. They both laughed at their silly joke, not hearing the microwave beeping, notifying them that it was done.
"Here Steve." she said, coming out of their reverie and reached over to open the microwave.
"It's okay, I got it." He took his plate out, along with a fork from a drawer. He started eating, sighing in relief.
"What?"
"Nothing. I-" he said, finishing his bite. "Thank you. For doing this, you know, for saving me food."
"It's no problem Steve."

~~~
i used precious math studying time to post this, so you better have liked it!!¡ jk, pls ignore meee..