Review of Media Magnetism by Christina Hamlett

Dental floss shrapnel . . . or how to work with the media

What makes a story about your business newsworthy? And what causes media outside your area to pick it up?

What kind of information resonates with reporters, and how can you best present it?

When are the best times to call a TV station?

Chances are the interviewer just wants to do a good job, but what if s/he hurls accusations or probes—and probes again—about sensitive topics? How can you deflect these arrows without coming off as defensive?

Your event budget allows for a professional photographer—what will this person need to know?

What goes into press kits for various media?

And how do you integrate social networking with traditional publicity strategies?

In some ways Media Magnetism is a dream-buster, and that’s a good thing. Rather than have you pine uselessly for a spot on national TV, Christina and her team advise a solid plan based on realistic expectations.

In friendly prose and with anecdotes drawn from a wealth of experience (dental floss shrapnel is my very favorite), the authors provide you with plenty of actionable advice.  I recommend this book for anyone wanting positive media coverage of their business, charity or event.