Chapter 1

Please leave a vote or a comment if you enjoy this part! Hearing from you guys makes my day! Thank you ^.^

Please note that this time around, I will be writing in past tense to give it a try for this series, and I've also edited book one heavily so there may be a few inconsistencies. Feel free to ask questions on anything you're confused on. And as always, please enjoy :)

I learned the hard way that time doesn't care about you

I learned the hard way that time doesn't care about you. It goes on when you beg it to stop, even for just a moment. Your wishes matter not to time.

Neither did mine, yet as I sat amongst kings and queens and rich men and women in stuffy clothing to witness Alec's marriage to Princess Silver of Iora, I prayed again for time to stop. And again, I was denied.

The wedding took place in a watery cave deep below Iora, the island that the water fairies made their home. The only light came from candles held by the numerous siblings of the bride. Many tiny gems stuck in the dark stone walls sent the candlelight bouncing back, contributing more shimmering light to the otherwise dim cave. It would've been a beautiful sight if today were a different day.

Two elderly women dressed entirely in white stood before us. Alec and Princess Iora knelt in front of them, facing one another, their heads and shoulders hidden by lavender veils made of silk and decorated with fresh peonies. While one of the women recited foreign words in a dull voice, which everyone seemed to understand aside from me, the other bent with the grace of an old woman to a bowl full of water at her feet, then rose again to lift the water held in her palms to the heavens. After bringing her hands to her lips, she would shower the young people before her with droplets of water.

"Luta tetta vyn hulper hjenobund. Luta blime vyn takni fegara ot liyf y pesori iningu mia Alexander fra Trävore ot Silver fra Iora," the first woman said. She reached down to brush her wrinkled fingers against one of the peonies, then lifted them into the air as her companion had done with the water. My heart became heavier with every movement, every word.

I ached to know what the words meant, but the gathering was silent save for the women in white. I didn't want to risk offending the royals, yet...

Glancing first to my left, and then to my right, I took note for the first time that evening of who sat beside me. My twin brother was at my left, dressed handsomely in the attire of knights when attending a formal event. His dark tunic and trousers stuck out amongst the sea of bright colors that always seemed to decorate fairies, but it didn't seem to matter to him.

I looked away when he returned my gaze with one eyebrow raised. Of all the hidden skills Peter hid and probably still hides from me, I doubted speaking the fairy language was one of them.