CHAPTER FOURTEEN: A POET AT HEART

Start from the beginning

His little Kate had loved him so much and still loved him so much that even if he wanted he could not feel anything for her except respect and admiration. She had never confessed her feelings because the situation had never been in their favor. Not six years ago, not now.

And he felt her pain through the words she had written as if it were his own. Loving someone so profoundly and not being able to express it must have been painful. And that must be why she had believed never to find love as she had stated yesterday. Because she had believed that he loved Jennifer and would never love her back. Oh, what a mess!

“Stop worrying, mate!” Ryce told him. “You know now that she loves you; even more than anyone could love someone. So relax! We’ll find a way out,” his friend promised.

“What?” he rasped tensing at his words instead of being comforted. “She’s getting married in less than three weeks and I respect the Thorntons too much to do such a vile thing.” Aidan felt frustrated as the situation was getting out of hand. At least he had now resolved part of the mystery; he could now choose whether to go forward or not.

“I understand. But we don’t have any choice. We’re not doing it just for the heck of it. We have to prevent her from getting married to that loser. And to hell with the consequences,” Ryce said vehemently.

“Hell, I don’t know,” said Aidan raking his hand through his hair and turned round at the sound of Alex’s car driving through the alley. He would talk to Kate and confess his feelings to her. And then she would decide whether she still wanted to marry that Bigfoot or not. “I’ll talk to Kate and tell her how I feel and let her decide. It’s her life after all and I don’t want to create a havoc now.”

But before he could say anything else, he saw Kate getting down from the back seat of the car followed by a toddler looking like a small bundle of joy.

“Flint!!” cried Ryce and the little boy chuckled in delight at the sight of his father who ran to grab him in his arms.

Aidan watched the reunion between father and son and both looked happy and were raining kisses on each other. His eyes met Kate who was smiling with delight at the scene and Alex standing behind her had the same expression. It was a nice sight.

“Surprised?” asked Kate smiling at Ryce who was still hugging tight to his little son and Aidan joined them.

“You bet!” he replied huskily at the emotion in his voice. “I’ve missed him so much.”

“Me too, dada!” said Flint shocking everyone since no one was paying particular attention to him. Everyone laughed at his astuteness and the toddler grinned at having so many adults bestowing their love on him.

Ryce put him down and showed Aidan. “Meet you uncle Aidan,” he said gently to the little boy who looked at Aidan in amazement before his face broke into a cute grin.

 Solemnly, he walked to him and shook hands with him before Aidan grabbed him in his arms too thinking he was too cute to resist. He was so well-mannered and looked so precious.

Kate also was quite taken in by the little charmer and was in a hurry to introduce Flint to everyone especially his mother.

“Flint!!!” Jennifer shrieked as soon as she caught sight of him and everyone looked in the direction of the toddler who walked in hand in hand with Aidan. “Oh baby, I missed you so much,” she said picking him up in her arms and lifting him up in the air before finally kissing him.

After that, the entire household was cowering over Flint like he was some lost treasure and Aidan had difficulty in finding some time alone with Kate.