Amarissa

Zephyr had asked to see me the night Amber had been accepted. I had a feeling I knew what it was he had wanted to discuss, and I was right. I had asked him, together with Cael and Ilona to come to my study.

"The resemblance was uncanny, so I was somehow expecting it," he said setting his cup down on the table. "Her aunt and uncle took her in when she was three. Her father's funeral she remembers. Her parents' faces though, are a blur when she tries to remember. And her aunt didn't seem to have any picture of her parents. "

"She didn't have a birth certificate until the Clares adopted her. It's as though she was a foundling. Her parents didn't have her registered," I said skimming through her file. "What about the time before her father's death?"

"Almost none except that her father had loved collecting crystals. That she remembers because she has his collection with her. She seemed to have inherited his liking for them. She uses some to make pendants and bracelets she would then wear. She was wearing an opal the day she came here. She said it was her favorite."

"An opal, huh? A white one?"I asked. Zephyr nodded.

"Memories of her mother?"

"She was told her mother left her and her father and that her aunt has no idea who she was."

"She may just be a half-blood who looks like her," said Ilona. She handles Hiraya's security and finance. She makes sure the protective charms other than the surveillance systems and security protocols are working and well implemented. Magic and technology usually clash but Ilona has found a way to make them work and the result has tinged her hair and eyes with red and her white linen shirt makes it all the more noticeable.

"Her blood didn't have a negative effect on the charms?"I asked. A drop of blood is taken from every mortal who works at Hiraya. This drop is usually taken from the sample drawn for blood tests. The drop is then poured onto the basin of water that powers the protective charms. One of the things it does is prevent them from seeing things they are not supposed to see. When a drop belongs to a half-blood, the water shines blue for a moment before returning to normal. That blood would usually have an effect on the charms. The last time a half-blood's was poured it made the charms shine and somehow triggered a short circuit which caused a blackout.

"None so far," she replied. "But I have someone to monitor them and I'll be sure to report any changes."

I then asked Zephyr if any of the med staff noticed anything. He studied medicine and is head at our infirmary aside from human resources. HR only handles affairs involving the very few human employees and interns.

"None. What's bothering me is that she doesn't seem to know she's half-blood."

Very much like the last one. I thought.

"Her parents might not have told her because she was too young. Her aunt and uncle may not know." I sighed. "It's not a problem as long as she doesn't affect anything."

"Should we tell anyone?" asked Cael.

"Mira and Aquil have their suspicions," said Zephyr. "Mira's bound to ask questions."

"You can't tell them," I said. Mira has a hard time keeping things to herself and Aquil is bound to tell her anything. "Not until I tell Aiden anyway. If there is nothing else, you can go."

Zephyr got up, took his white coat from the chair. "Should I see if I can find anything more about her?"

"Make sure she doesn't find out," I replied. Turning to Ilona, I said, "If the charms react or anything let me know immediately."

Ilona nodded and left with Zephyr.

"How long 'til Aiden returns?" Cael asked as he took the chair opposite me.

"Another week or so."

"You think it's her?"

"I know it's her."

"You want to be absolutely certain, that's why you're letting Zephyr check further?"

I nodded and got up. I walked towards the window and looked down at the secret garden between the residence and the library. "Something about her aunt and uncle is bothering me. We might have a problem if I'm right. I hope Zephyr finds something before Aiden comes back."

"And if Aiden returns before that? What do you plan to do?"

I slowly shook my head. Amber Clare, I thought. What to do, indeed?