Author's Note

This is a work of fiction. I make no claims to have any idea what is ever or has ever been going through Taylor's head. For the record, I feel really weird telling the story in Taylor's voice (since none of it is real), but I tried to write it in third person and it just wouldn't flow. I haven't seen a lot of these types of stories on here, so I'm not sure how it will be received, but a story in this vein meant a lot to me at a tough time in my life, so this is my attempt to pay it forward.

I have fabricated things based off of some real-life events in Taylor's life, some of the Gaylor Swift lore, and real events in my own life. This story deals with some tough subjects, but is ultimately the story of two people who love and support each other through those tough moments. If you like hurt/comfort stories and don't like spoilers, stop reading here and go on to chapter 1 whenever I post it.

But if you have any trigger concerns, or want to know what inspired this story even though it's spoiler-y keep reading.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Still here?

.

Trigger warnings for the whole story: depression, self-harm (not a major plot point, may surface in flashbacks), cancer, drug use (mostly medicinal purposes)

.

.

.

.

Why I'm writing:

Five years ago, a close friend, who I think of as a little sister, was diagnosed with cancer. At the time, a fic writer on another site, in another fandom, was writing a story about one of the members of the band dealing with a cancer diagnosis, and it meant the world to me to see the feelings I was experiencing written out in someone else's story. It made me feel like I wasn't alone. And I needed that, because it wasn't my diagnosis. She isn't actually family. It was my job to be there and support her, and her family. I knew all the ins and outs of her diagnosis and treatment, but none of it truly concerned me the way it would if I were family. So fic helped me cope. 

The details of the medical stuff comes from my friend's cancer journey. What I couldn't remember, I looked up on reputable sites. There may be some minor embellishment for drama, but nothing that strays too far from the reality I experienced supporting my friend. Her story ends well, in that it isn't over. She's cancer free and healthy. They even consider her cured. So this story is here for anyone who needs to feel like they aren't alone while they cope, and who finds reading someone else's story comforting. If that isn't you, I respect that, and wish you well.