Chapter 5: Patrol

Start from the beginning

"All I smell is the blood coming from the buck." The red one stated.

"No." The black one growled as he shook his head. "I smell wet dog."

'Uh rude much?' Harvey growled.

"Never mind that." The red one said as he rolled his eyes. "We have to get back or else boss will kill us."

"You're right." The black one said, agitation evident in his voice.

I watched amazed as the red one grabbed the black one and then started to flap his wings.

'We need to go tell my dad.' I said determinedly.

'I think you're right.' Sterling said as Harvey nodded.

~*~

Kasey

"Are you ready for your first patrol Kiddo?" Kenword asked.

I nodded frantically. "Oh yeah I am! I'm so excited. Actually. I'm way beyond excited."

"I think Kasey and I will take the streets today." Alvar smiled as she looked at me. "What do you think?"

I smiled back and looked down at the city as we flew over it. "I think that would be fun."

"Sweet." Maximus laughed. "Kenword and I got the air above you guys then."

"There's an alleyway that we can change into." Alvar said as she pointed down below. "Let's make it quick."

I nodded and followed her down.

We tucked in our wings so we could go down faster.

"Remember." Alvar whispered and we landed quietly on the ground. "We have to make it quick and then act like regular people."

I nodded and turned invisible as I changed forms.

Once the coast was clear, we turned visible again and walked out of the alleyway.

"You guys in position?" Maximus asked through our ear pieces.

"Yes." I said as Alvar nodded at me. "This is weird."

"What is?" Alvar asked as we started to walk down the sidewalk.

"I don't know." I said with a shrug. "I guess just walking down my old streets. It's been three years."

Alvar nodded. "You'll get used to it Kasey. It was weird for me too."

"It was?" I asked.

Okay good. At least I'm not the only one.

She nodded. "I wasn't ready to feel all the emotions that I would get. I passed my house on my first patrol. I broke down crying. Maximus told me that it would get easier. It does, but you still feel sadness. That part will never go away."

"I'm glad that I met him. He's been a real help."

"He has." Alvar agreed.

"So I have a question." I said.

"What's up?" Alvar asked as we started to cross the street.

"When I killed my first demon, Maximus said that he was a new one." I explained as I thought about it. "How can he tell?"

"I was wondering when you were going to ask that." Alvar laughed. "Demons have horns."

"The one I killed didn't." I spoke confused.

"Exactly." Alvar nodded. "Demons that have horns are the older and more powerful ones. If a demon doesn't have horns, then he is a new recruit."

"So their strength is measured by how big their horns are?" I asked trying to grasp the idea.