Chris ~Pigtail Girl~

Chris Beck

You had all your bags packed for your drive to NASA where you would go aboard the Ares III for the first ever trip to Mars.

You had been allowed to fly back to your hometown to say goodbye to your friends and family before you went on to make history.

Your mother and younger sister where helping you load up your car, spending every moment with you before you left for over a year.

"Do you think you'll find the Doctor when you're traveling through space?" your little sister, Ellaine, asked. She was obsessed with Doctor Who, and it was kind of your fault. You had gotten her hooked on the show about two years ago when you were really into it.

Ever since NASA had told you that you had bee, selected for the Ares III mission, you hadn't been able to watch it, so your thirteen year old sister would call you and catch you up.

"I dunno. But if I do, I'll see if I can get him to see you." you said, smiling when you saw Ellaine's eyes grow big.

"Wow...my sister's a Time Lord..."

This got a laugh out of you. "Not yet." you replied, stuffing the last bag into your trunk.

Your mother dusted off her hands. "Well... I think that's the last one..." she said, trying not to cry.

"It'll be okay Mom, I'll be fine." you reassured her.

She pulled you in for one last hug before you got into the car and drive off, waving goodbye to your family.

...............

You woke up on the Ares III and looked out your window at the stars. You let out a sigh and burried your face in your hands.

You had been homesick for the six months you had been in space so far. You hadn't been able to video chat for the past four weeks due to a solar flare, and you were dying to see your mother and Ellaine again.

"Hey, L/N? Can I come in?" you heard a voice outside your door that belonged to Beth Johansson.

"Yeah. The doors unlocked." you replied.

You heard the woosh of the door opening and in stepped Beth with a tray of food.

"Beck, Watney, and I thought you might want breakfast." she said.

When I looked up, I saw Mark Watney and Chris Beck behind her.

"I'm not hungry."

"You haven't eaten in days." Chris said, crossing his arms.

"We're worried about you, L/N." he added.

"Well I'm fine Beck, thanks for the concern and pity, but I don't want it." you snapped.

"Y/N, please." Watney begged.

Watney was the only one on the ship that used your first name, and when he did use it, it was usually because you screwed up or her was messing with you. .

"Just go away. All of you. I don't want to be near people right now." you said softly.

Beth sighed, and she walked away, leaving the tray of food on a table in your room. Watney left as well.

Chris stayed despite your wishes.

You didn't notice he was there until you looked up again.

"I told you to go away."

"But I stayed."

"You shouldn't have. Lewis might get the wrong idea." you warned, knowing the rules about going up into space. No relationships with your crew members. You get caught, you're in trouble, and you didn't want that even if you and Chris weren't an item.