Chapter Four

Miles sat down at his bed, looking at his phone. On his screen was a picture of Julie, painting on a blank canvas. His heart skipped a beat as he saw her beautiful smile. It was so bright and beautiful, the sun was probably jealous of her.

  He had to admit that his crush on her was growing bigger and bigger by the minute. The aura around her was incredible, the way she was so joyful. It brought a grin to his face whenever she would tease the "freshie."

  Still, he couldn't help but notice how he and Alya had drifted apart recently. Miles suspected that she had heard him talking to Julie while planning their date. He felt bad, but she didn't really think much of it, right? Seriously, Miles didn't even know that she liked him that way.

  But what really got to him was when he had saw her at the hospital. She knew that he had a kidney disease, but why was she there? She wouldn't keep secrets from him, right? Maybe before, but now? Miles couldn't decipher her anymore.

  A buzz sounded from his phone. Looking back down into his lap, he unlocked the screen to see that he had gotten a text from Julie. A smile slowly made it's way on his lips.

  Julieboo😘: Hey Miles. Wanna meet me at the park after school?

  Miles sat up on his bed, his thumbs twitching with anticipation. Of course, yes! But how should he say it? There were many different ways to say yes. Yes ma'am, too formal. Yeah, too casual..

  Stop overthinking, Miles! he yelled to himself in his head. It's not like the both of you are dating! At least, not yet.

  Miles quickly texted back, "Sure," and sent it to her. That part was over with. Now for the harder part. Picking out an outfit. Oh, the complications of going to see the girl you like.

  )><(

  Miles walked down one of Keaton's many hallways, towards the music room. For the first time in a while, he and Alya had a rehearsal planned for their mid-term duet. He hoped that she had time to do it, with her Da Bohemé rehearsals and all.

   He was about to enter the music room when he heard a voice singing inside. At first he thought it was Bianca, but it turned out to be Alya. She was sitting there, singing, her voice sounding hoarse and strangled, as if she had a real bad sore throat.

  🎶 Yeah you shot me down-down-down, like a bullet right to my brain, and when I hit the ground-ground-ground, yeah you watched me fall apart,

  Yeah you shot me down-down-down, like a bullet right to my heart, and when I hit the ground-ground-ground, yeah you watched me fade away.. and I was never the same. 🎶

  Miles continued to listen to her sing the same lyrics repeatedly. He wondered who wrote the song. It sounded very sentimental.

  He walked in, and hearing his footsteps, Alya turned around. "Oh, um, hi," she mumbled, looking down and twiddling her thumbs.

  Miles looked at her, taking in the way she looked. Alya must've not had gotten any sleep lately. She had dark circles underneath her bright blue eyes. "I heard you singing. Who wrote that song? I've never heard it, and it sounds really good."

  Alya blushed, something Miles hadn't seen her do in a long time. "Well-I.. I wrote it myself."

  Miles felt a cold prick run down his spine. It wasn't possible the song was about him.. right? Alya only liked him as a friend.. or were they even friends anymore?

  "It sounds great," was all he said in reply, and he walked over to sit next to Alya. Miles started coughing.

  Alya flinched lightly, something that didn't escape Miles's eyes. "Um, I have to go to the office real fast," she stuttered, heading towards the door.

  Miles stopped her before Alya could move anymore. "What's the matter, Alya? Was it something I said?"

  Her body trembling, Alya shook her head. "No, no, nothing like that. I just h-have to g-go!" she exclaimed, bolting out the door before Miles could stop her. Now he was really worried about her. What secrets was she hiding?

)><(

   Alya knew that it could have just been minor. That the cough could have meant nothing. But, in spite of that, she couldn't take any risks, breast cancer and all. And now Miles was probably thinking that she was this psycho germaphobe.

  She hated the way she still loved him. She despised the way her heart thumped whenever she saw him. She was still deeply in love with him, whatever she tried to make herself think otherwise.

  But it was too late now.

)><(

   Miles sat next to Julie on an empty park bench, his hand enlaced with hers. Her breath smelled like spearmint; her hair flowed down her shoulders as if they were waves.

  Though they weren't dating, they couldn't turn off the romance. They talked and laughed a lot, leaving him warm inside.

  But when he was with Julie, there was this thing.. missing. He couldn't explain what it was, but it was there.

  And Miles missed Jax and Alya. The two friends he could count on the most. Jax was still there, of course, but when Miles started hanging out with Julie, he just, vanished.

  Alongside Jax, there was Alya. Miles could always pour out his feelings to her, whatever the case may be.

  Miles was a big jigsaw puzzle, and right now, most of the pieces were missing.