Prolouge

Miles sat next to Jax on a picnic table, strumming the chords on his electric guitar. He could hear small conversations all around him, smiling to himself. It wasn't as loud as it normally was, because he and Jax had gotten to school early.

  Out of the corner of his eye, he saw girl with black hair and dark brown eyes walk up to him, and he recognized her as Julie. She walked up to Miles and Jax, raising an eyebrow. "Okay, we have a student council meeting, but why are you guys here so early? School doesn't start for an hour!"

  Jax smiled his goofy grin. "Because the chocolate chip muffins here are choice! And they go fast!" Almost as soon as he got done talking, Miles heard a gruff man's voice. "Muffins are up!" it said loudly. "Bam, see that?" Jax said, hopping off the picnic table and running towards the front of the school. "You snooze you lose!"

  Julie grinned and sat on top of the table, lightly nudging his feet with her own. "Feet off the table, cake thief!" she exclaimed, her black curls bouncing up and down.

  Miles gazed at her and lifted his chin, throwing his hands up in the air in mock defeat. "Yes ma'am!" he sarcastically replied, shifting his position to where his feet were now on the picnic table seat.

  He turned to look at Julie, guitar in hand. "So how's the whisper-yell project going?" Miles asked the sophomore.

  Julie tapped her feat against the seat of the picnic table. She said, "That's old news, freshman. At this school I'm always moving forward."

  Miles smiled. Behind him, Jax poked his arm between Miles and Julie, a muffin in his hand. He let her have a portion of it, and then broke off a piece and stuffed himself.

  Julie got up, her purse in tow. She flashed Miles a smile and said, "Later freshies." And almost as quickly as she had arrived, she was gone.

  Jax watched after her, and then realization hit his face as he recognized the girl as Julie. He leaned over the table and asked, "Dude. What was that?"

  Miles took his guitar off his shoulder and turned around to face Jax. He said, "Nothing."

  Jax, muffin in mouth, mumbled, "She is totally into you." He looked so excited for Miles that it almost seemed that Julie was into him, and not Miles.

  "Maybe," Miles said softly, looking down at the picnic table.

  Jax straightened up in his seat, looking at him with amusement in his brown eyes. "What are you going to do about it?"

  "I don't know, ask her out?" Miles said anxiously with a grin on his face. He didn't know for sure if he liked Julie or not, but she was a nice girl. They had been getting together a lot more recently.

  Just as he said that, Alya walked up from behind Jax. Ask who out? she thought excitedly to herself.

  "Hey guys!" Alya said to Miles and Jax, kneeling down to where she could sit next to the two.

  As she sat down, Miles pushed the chocolate chip muffin he had towards her, not hungry anymore. A big smile broke out on Alya's face.

  "Aww! Thanks!" she said enthusiastically.

)><(

   Miles and Jax walked out of their 3rd period classroom, alongside several of the other students at Keaton. Just to Miles's luck, Julie was standing right in front of the two boys, talking to another girl.

  "Dude, she's right there!" Jax exclaimed, nudging Miles excitedly in the shoulder.

  Miles rolled his eyes at how silly his friend was being at the moment. "So?" he said sarcastically.