bellman.

"Ethan I need you to cover my shift for me again", Jeremy pleaded and I rolled my eyes involuntarily.

"But dude I'm supposed to meet up with my brother and a few friends", I groaned.

"I promise this is the last time", he gave me a hopeful look.

"But I've been here since 7 in the morning, I'm tired", I whined. I know another few hours wouldn't kill me but I really just wanna go home.

"Please"

"Okay okay whatever, you owe me though dude", I gave him a stern look and watched as he walked out with a smile on his face.

I hate this job; taking care of people's luggage and showing them to their rooms and tending to their every need.

I sighed and leaned against the shiny doorway of the large apartment complex I worked at. It was one of the most boring jobs ever but it payed my bills and I couldn't complain.

"Hello sweetie", the sweet old lady that lived on floor 2 said.

"Hi Mrs. White", I smiled as she carried her groceries towards the elevator, "would you like some help?"

"Oh yes if you would be so kind", she said sweetly. I gave a small nod and walked over to her, gently taking the bags from her hands.

"Shouldn't you be at home? I thought your shift ended an hour ago", she asked curiously.

"Yeah, I'm covering Jeremy's shift again", I groaned, earning a laugh from her.

"Thank you honey", she said as we reached her door, taking the bags from my hands.

"It's not problem Mrs. White", I smiled and walked to the elevator, clicking the lobby button.

I adjusted the hem of my stupid uniform and rolled my eyes. Thankfully my uniform isn't anything like the typical bellhop attire. Although I wouldn't even call myself a 'bellhop' really. Are bellhops even still a thing? I wore a white button up with dress pants, and whatever shoes I pleased. I wore black Vans on my feet that were scuffed from the continuous kicking I did out of boredom.

It was a nice complex I worked at, very modern and clean. It was fairly close to NYU and a handful of college kids lived here. Sometimes they would come in late at night with all their friends, leading them up to their room. I would get noise complaints from the other residents and honestly it was super annoying. I hated working night shifts mainly because of the rowdy university students. And tonight I idiotically picked up Jeremy's night shift.

I sat at the desk and twirled the pen in my fingers while humming along to the song that played quietly in the background. It was getting late and close to my break, thankfully.

At about eight o'clock, one of my colleagues came and took over my position, allowing me to leave the fancy complex. I walked to my car, unlocking it and stepping in. I drove quickly to a fast food restaurant and picked up something to eat. I sat in the restaurant and ate my food quietly, watching people come in and out.

I threw my food in the trash can and walked back to my car. I still had about 40 minutes left of my break and decided to go to my apartment.

I pulled into the parking garage and locked my car, walking into small but decent building I lived in. It was quaint and the rent was affordable. I clicked the elevator to the forth floor and walked to my apartment, unlocking the door.

I was immediately greeted by my dog Sam. He licked my face and wagged his tail in excitement.

"Hi buddy", I spoke softly and walked over to the kitchen, pulling out the dog food. Sam panted and put his paws on the counter, watching me pull the dog food out. I walked to his dish by the doorway, and he followed happily. I filled is dish and patted his head while he ate.

I sat on the countertop and munched on chips while listening to the sound of the quiet tv. I jumped when I heard my phone ring in my pocket and I wiped my hands off before pulling it out of my pocket and sliding the screen.

"Hello?", I answered with chips still in my mouth.

"Ethan where are you?", Grayson voice spoke in my ear.

"Oh shit I'm sorry man I forgot to tell you, I picked up Jeremy's shift tonight and I won't be able to come", I sighed.

"What the hell? Why do you always pick up his shifts?"? Grayson said annoyed.

"I don't know", I answered honestly, "I guess I just feel bad"

"Well we are gonna have to go to the club without you".

"That's fine dude, we can just go out another time", I swung my legs back and forth.

"Yeah okay, call me later?", he asked.

"Yeah for sure, see ya", I spoke before hanging up. I looked over to the clock and my eyes grew wide.

"Oh shit", I spoke to myself. I was gonna be late and my boss was gonna kill me. My break gets over in 10 minutes and it takes me at least 15 minutes to get there. I quickly jump off the counter and slip on my shoes before patting Sam and closing the door, locking it behind me.

I ran to my car and got in, quickly pulling out into the busy streets. I listened to the radio as I drove to work, watching the time tick by.

I got to the complex about 3 minutes late and parked my car, quickly running into the building.

"Sorry I'm late", I rushed to my colleague.

"It's fine Ethan, you are only 5 minutes late", Judy laughed and sat up from behind the desk and clocked out.

"I'll see you tomorrow", I said with a smile. She waved and walked out, leaving me alone in the lobby.

"And so it begins", I say to myself and sit back on the office chair, placing my feet on the desk.

After about two hours, a few college students walk in, I'm assuming from a party or something.

"What's up E", one of the few college kids say, and I nod my head towards them.

"Not much Jack", I replied. He stepped into the elevator with the girl he brought home tonight. I shook my head and laughed, I swear he had a new girl every night.

As the night dragged on, my eyes grew heavier and I closed my eyes briefly.

The sound of the door opening was enough for me to shoot up, and look alive, scared that maybe it was my boss.

But I was proved wronged when she walked in. Her black hair sat delicately against her back and her brown eyes were glued to the ground as she walked. She walked in here at the same time every night, with a pile of books in her small hands. We had never really talked before, yet I was so captivated by her presence. She was quiet and closed-off.

Her name was Arabella Parks; that was about all I knew about her. She lives on the seventh floor. She moved in a few months ago, at the beginning of the semester. I've been watching her for a while now, observing her while she walked in and out every day. It sounds creepy but I can't help but stare while she walks by me.

I sighed when the elevator doors closed; I was pathetic.

She was beautiful and elegant and graceful; but I'm just a bellman.