Chapter 15

New York

     Megan Dawnburst rolled over in her bed, unable to sleep for some reason as she thought of her day.

      For the first time since she came to New York, someone approached her and introduced her to some new friends. The fact that that someone just happened to be Jace Herondale didn't really help either.

       Her phone rang on her nightstand, bringing her out of her reverie.

       The screen showed an unregistered number, which would usually have made her curious, but she remembered that she gave Jace, Alec, Isabelle, Maia, Jordan, Rafael and Magnus her number earlier.

       Swiping 'answer' she greeted her caller.

       "Hello?"

      "Hey, Meg. It's Jace. I can't really sleep, so wanna go for a ride or something?"

       A smile crept its way to her lips as she jumped off her bed.

       "Sure thing. Meet me at Central Park," she answered as she changed into a pair of jeans and put on a bra.

      "See ya there."

XxxxxxxxxxxxxX

Japan

       Clary felt the pressure of hundreds of eyes staring at them as they walked down the hall.

       "Don't slouch, C," Kazuma quietly told her, making her straighten her back.

        "Don't hang your head, Red," Dylan added before realizing something. "Hey that rhymed."

     Clary shook her head as she giggled, making Sebastian smile.

       "You'll get used to their stares," he whispered to his sister.

        "What about their whispers?" She asked.

        "They'll disappear soon enough," Kazuma assured her, looking ahead. "Dylan and I went through the same thing when word got out that Valentine-sama chose us as his apprentices."

        "They should have expected it, to be honest," Sebastian spoke, making Clary look at him. Her eyebrow was cocked up as if asking what he meant.

      "The three of us have been friends since we were 10 years old," he explained. "Of course, us having grown up together meant that they were usually there when Dad trained me so we practically trained together. It's like he adopted these two."

      "Wait," Clary interrupted.

      "Where are your parents?" SHe asked, looking at both Dylan and Kazuma

       "I have no idea where my dad is, to be honest," Kazuma shrugged. "Just know that he was either a Mundane with the Sight or a Shadowhunter with enough balls to screw someone up but not take responsibility for whatever popped up afterwards."

        The way he said it made is sound like he couldn't care less, but Clary sensed something there; like how he had to convice himself that he didn't care so he wouldn't be pitied. She secretly wondered if he hated his father deep inside.

      "My mom, on the other hand," the brown-haired half-Jap started, "..is in Idris, working as the Consul's right hand."

        "Aren't you friends with the Inquisitor's children?" Dylan asked, looking at the redhead.

        Clary felt a tug at her heart. She tried not to think about New York and the people she left behind as much as possible, but she guessed talking about her old home would be inevitable.