The Mission

Chapter 2

She woke with a jerk. Sitting up in bed, she put her hand to her head. Her head felt like it might explode. After a little while it started to subside and she looked around the small room. There are two chairs and a bed side table with a pitcher of water and some magazines. Not much was in the room but enough to make it feel like home. She remembered watching Sarah being tortured and the boss yelling at her but what happened next she cant really remember. She pulled the blanket off of her and pulled out all the IVs and slid to the edge of the bed. Putting her toes on the cold ground she didn't know if she could stand on her own two feet yet. Taking it slow and easy she tested her right leg first, then her left. Now that she could stand up but with some support. she was about to walk over to the door when it opened and in walks two soldiers and a doctor, eyes in shock!

She backed up towards the corner and started to throw anything and everything she could at them. Dodging this and that, the soldiers walked around the bed towards her.

"Miss Mcoure, please get back into bed before you hurt yourself." he said waiting by the door. He was in his late thirties.

She stood in the corner waiting for them to make their move. She was ready to fight them off even if it killed her. Before they could grab her another doctor walks in with a clip board in hand.

"Stand down guys, she was a prisoner of war. She doesn't understand that we are here to help her. Now leave her!"

The soldiers backed off and stood at the door as the other doctor left. The doctor took a seat at the end of the bed and was looking at the clip board. He looked up at her.

"Miss Mcoure, would you please take a seat?" he said pointing to the chairs

She wanted to say something but her voice was a little scratchy and she couldn't say anything.

"Your vocal cords are badly damaged so you wont be able to speak for awhile! Please give them time to heal before you use them." he said with a reassuring smile

She looked at him with wonder in her eyes. She had so many questions and she couldn't even ask them. Could she even trust them or would she be just another prisoner to them? She decided to take the risk and sat down in the chair in front of the doctor.

"My name is Doctor Gavin and you are in a medical base. You and your friend arrived late last night with a major infection and dehydration! Your friend is very lucky that they rescued her when they did. She lost lots of blood and she had to have several surgeries to save her hand but she will make a great recover with time. You have pulled your vocal cord muscles and with time they should heal. So I've brought you this dry erase board so you can ask me any questions that you have." he said handing her the board.

She writes:

What happened to the others that were with me?

"I'm sorry to tell you this but you and your friend are the only survivor!" he said with a frown

She erases the question and writes again:

When do I get to go home back to the states?

"First off you are still in the hot zone and with this war going on, it would be much safer if a military team will escorts you to the green zone. Also you are very dehydrated and it would be safer if we evaluate you to see if you have any other problems." he said with a smile

She writes again:

Am I confined to this room or do i have premission to walk about the base?

"You are not a prisoner. You have the the right the leave your room any time you like but I recommand that you have someone walk with you.