"One less mouth to feed..."

Ryan had sweat pouring down his face as he darted between people and and the stands lining the street, getting little to no notice.

The shrill screeching sounds of the chief's whistle bounces off of the concert buildings built sky high on both sides of the street.

Suddenly Ryan feels a white hot  pain in his shoulder, loudly gasping he roughly reaches his hand up to rid himself of the pain only to realize that a bullet had entered his shoulder and is still in the flesh.

Just when a soft anthem plays over the crackling speakers he drops everything and stops and the few who noticed him were looking his way shock.

He placed his blood coated hand over his erratically beating heart as the erie words rang out bounding off of the brick walls of the buildings surrounding them just as the now faint whistle was.

'Oh say can you see?...'

Ryan could no longer focus on the anthem of his country, as black spots covered his vision.

All at once he was taken to the ground by the officials and he was about to black out when the words he heard his dad say to his weeping mother and brothers before they dropped him off at the 'camp.'

'One less mouth to feed...'

-A.G.